"concomitant adverbial" or "adverbial of purpose"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think a clause can be without a subject and a finite verb, but I am not a teacher.

"A non-finite clause is a clause whose verb is non-finite (an infinitive, an -ing participle or an -en participle.) E.g.

To expect a refund is unreasonable
All he ever does is complain
Having said that, I still hope he gets one
If consulted, I would have advised against

A non-finite clause may function as an integral sentence element (as in the first two examples here), or as a separate subordinate clause (as in the third and fourth). A non finite clause may contain its own subject:

For him to expect a refund is unreasonable." [From The Oxford Dictionary of English Grammar by Sylvia Chalker and Edmund Weiner.]

PS: there are grammarians who even classify some clauses as the verbless ones as in "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

[From The Oxford Dictionary of English Grammar by Sylvia Chalker and Edmund Weiner.]

***** NOT A TEACHER ******

"Some modern grammar allows NON-FINITE and VERBLESS clauses (which would be categorized as phrases in more traditional analysis) so that the following, though containing only one finite verb, has four clauses:

My father travelled by two buses each day / to get there on time / leaving home at 5.00 am / and usually returning after 10.00 pm."

-- Chalker and Weiner, op. cit.

Others would say one clause and three phrases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back