Other
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

When assisting clients, our agents use the help of a script with certain canned responses. I would like to share one such response and confirm if it has a negative or positive implication when pitched to a reader or listener from a customer service perspective or just in general.

"We can certainly try to assist you with this"

Argument is that some say it tends to have a negative implication due to the word "TRY" as it creates a doubt in the readers mind about whether they can be assisted or not.

Similarly some say it’s positive, giving hope to the listener or reader that they will be assisted.
The purpose of the sentence is to act as a neutral statement in a situation where the agent is not a 100% sure if they can assist the client with their query or not.

Kindly confirm or just give your point of view on whether the sentence is a positive one or negative one towards the listener/reader.

Thanks.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

When assisting clients, our agents use the help of a script with certain canned responses. I would like to share one such response and confirm if it has a negative or positive implication when pitched to a reader or listener from a customer service perspective or just in general.

"We can certainly try to assist you with this"

Argument is that some say it tends to have a negative implication due to the word "TRY" as it creates a doubt in the readers mind about whether they can be assisted or not.

Similarly some say it’s positive, giving hope to the listener or reader that they will be assisted.
The purpose of the sentence is to act as a neutral statement in a situation where the agent is not a 100% sure if they can assist the client with their query or not.

Kindly confirm or just give your point of view on whether the sentence is a positive one or negative one towards the listener/reader.

Thanks.
To assist is to help or somehow aid. If I assist you in getting a cat out of a tree by lending you my ladder there is no indication that you will get the cat from the tree. I did assist you but you didn't accomplish the task. The assistance may be in the form of "Is the computer plugged into a live outlet?" The representative may not help the customer solve the problem but assistance was provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.