Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
So the other day I was scrolling through videos on YouTube and a video caught my attention.
It was called: Unholy (wife's POV)
This song has been rewritten from the wife's perspective where she knows all about her husband's infidelity and is planning to take revenge.
Here's the part I don't get:
"He'll regret all the times he sat
While she threw it back
To think you said you loved me"
It's the last line that is particularly confusing for me.
Can someone please clarify the meaning of these lyrics?
link to the video

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The part of the video where the lyric occurs illustrates the meaning. The guy is sitting once again in a strip club (all the times he sat) talking to a woman who's drinking heavily (while she threw it back). The speaker, who is the guy in question's partner, feels that this behaviour is evidence of infidelity, therefore disproving the man's claims to love her (To think you said you loved me). The speaker aims to take revenge on her partner for this (You'll regret).

The line To think you said you love me uses the common form of exclamatory expression: To think + clause

One of the uses of this expression, as is the case here, is to express a feeling of dismay at having misunderstood a situation. She thought he loved her, but now she realises she was wrong, and now she feels angry, not just at him but also at herself for believing him.

Last edited:

Ari

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The part of the video where the lyric occurs illustrates the meaning. The guy is sitting once again in a strip club (all the times he sat) talking to a woman who's drinking heavily (while she threw it back). The speaker, who is the guy in question's partner, feels that this behaviour is evidence of infidelity, therefore disproving the man's claims to love her (To think you said you loved me). The speaker aims to take revenge on her partner for this (You'll regret).

The line To think you said you love me uses the common form of exclamatory expression: To think + clause

One of the uses of this expression, as is the case here, is to express a feeling of dismay at having misunderstood a situation. She thought he loved her, but now she realises she was wrong, and now she feels angry, not just at him but also at herself for believing him.
So basically you could replace the sentence (to think you said you loved me) with "I thought you loved me"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. "To think ..." in this usage expresses usually disappointment, anger at the thought of something that happened or something that they're considering.

Helen: How much money is in your account?
Sam: Four pounds.
Helen: What?! Why have you got so little money?
Sam: Well, I spent five hundred pounds on a spa weekend with my friends.
Helen: No wonder you're broke. And to think I was considering lending you some money to buy food! If I'd known you'd wasted half your salary on spa weekend, I wouldn't have even thought about helping you out.

Reactions: Ari
Status
Not open for further replies.