"Content" "contents"

Status
Not open for further replies.
#3 looks at the uncountable form.

Do you have a sentence in which you wish to use 'content/contents' and are not sure which form to use?

No. The dictionary's examples are very helpful. Is it the difference they are talking about? Between 3, 4 and 5 and the first two meanings?

What do you think, Rachel?

The first two definitions in that dictionary deal with the plural form, the next three with the singular/uncountable form, Are there differences in the meanings given? Could these be what your book is talking about?

There is a difference between "the content of her speech" and "the book's contents" or "the letter's contents". So yes,I think that's what the book is talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
In those examples, content and contents both work and mean the same thing.

There might be subtleties I don't appreciate. For instance, singular might imply the text as a whole while plural implies its many parts. But since the whole is the sum of the parts, it adds up to the same thing either way.

And I suspect that different people will have different opinions about which is better in each sentence.

Maybe someone who knows grammar rules can tell you more.

In those examples, content and contents both work and mean the same thing.

There might be subtleties I don't appreciate. For instance, singular might imply the text as a whole while plural implies its many parts. But since the whole is the sum of the parts, it adds up to the same thing either way.

And I suspect that different people will have different opinions about which is better in each sentence.

Maybe someone who knows grammar rules can tell you more.

I don't understand the difference. The contents of a book and the content of someone's speech both refer to what something consists of. Yes, I hope I will get a detailed explanation.

What's the CPE question?

What's the CPE question?

There are no questions. It just lists the words that change their meaning in the plural

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back