Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
"later that night, the superhero convention was in full swing inside the motel 0"

What does "convention was in full swing"? How can a convention be in its full swing?

Thank you.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What does "convention was in full swing"? How can a convention be in its full swing?
The expression is to be in full swing. Don't use the possessive pronoun.

Now that you've added Thank you to your signature, I hope you'll get out of the habit of typing the words at the end of your posts. Removing them when I quote your posts requires a little extra effort.

Thank you. :)

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Where did you get that idea from?

What else could be as the highest level for a convetion other than a peak of an argument?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why do you think people argue at a convention?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What else could be at the highest level for a convention other than the peak of an argument?

Maybe you have argument confused with discussion.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Even if it's discussion, that has nothing to do with the original post. At a superhero convention, people show up dressed as their favourite superheroes, go to talks and press conferences with their favourite actors, get to take part in photo shoots with their icons, watch special episodes of TV shows and other special screenings, and generally just get to indulge their superhero fanaticism for a whole weekend.

If a superhero convention was in full swing, it just means that it had started, lots of people were there, the organised events were underway and everything was going on, probably with a real buzz of excitement.

(Useless fact: I went to a Xena:Warrior Princess convention in San Francisco once.)

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Even if it's discussion, that has nothing to do with the original post. At a superhero convention, people show up dressed as their favourite superheroes, go to talks and press conferences with their favourite actors, get to take part in photo shoots with their icons, watch special episodes of TV shows and other special screenings, and generally just get to indulge their superhero fanaticism for a whole weekend.

If a superhero convention was in full swing, it just means that it had started, lots of people were there, the organised events were underway and everything was going on, probably with a real buzz of excitement.

(Useless fact: I went to a Xena:Warrior Princess convention in San Francisco once.)
Then maybe I have convention confused with meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.