Could you tell me the meaning of ‘Compulsory school’ in the following paragraph?

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
Could you tell me the meaning of ‘Compulsory school’ in the following paragraph?

Compulsory school start ages vary enormously worldwide. In Northern Ireland, children are obliged, according to the law, to start school at four. In England, Scotland and Wales, however, the age is five, as it is in the Netherlands and Australia. In Austria, Belgium,Czech Republic, France and Spain, it is six and in Sweden, it is seven. Why the difference? And is there an optimum time to begin school – is there a point at which a child’s brain is ready to begin soaking up the three Rs, and are we effectively wasting our time – and theirs – by applying premature pressure on children?

Thanks in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It refers to the fact that in some countries of the world, attending school is compulsory, so the two words have been put together to make "compulsory school". It's more commonly referred to as "compulsory education". Some countries don't insist that all children go to school so they don't have compulsory education. The age at which a child must attend school is different in different countries.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
It refers to the fact that in some countries of the world, attending school is compulsory, so the two words have been put together to make "compulsory school". It's more commonly referred to as "compulsory education". Some countries don't insist that all children go to school so they don't have compulsory education. The age at which a child must attend school is different in different countries.

Hi,
Thank you very much for your reply an information. I've heard about "compulsory education" which refers to a period ofeducation that is required of every person, but I've never heard about "compulsory school".

L54

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It's like compulsory schooling.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wouldn't use "compulsory school" personally, but the meaning was discernible. I would have started the article with "Compulsory school ages vary enormously worldwide" mainly because not only does the start age vary, but so does the age at which you can leave school.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I wouldn't use "compulsory school" personally, but the meaning was discernible. I would have started the article with "Compulsory school ages vary enormously worldwide" mainly because not only does the start age vary, but so does the age at which you can leave school.
Hi,
Thank you for your advice. Of course I can and I will change that sentence without any problem. To me it is also much better.
The thing is the article was originally published in the Telegraph Weekly World Edition.

Best,
L54

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi teachers,

Compulsory school start ages vary enormously worldwide. In Northern Ireland, children are obliged, according to the law, to start school at four. In England, Scotland and Wales, however, the age is five, as it is in the Netherlands and Australia. In Austria, Belgium,Czech Republic, France and Spain, it is six and in Sweden, it is seven. Why the difference?* And is there an optimum time to begin school **– is there a point at which a child’s brain is ready to begin soaking up the three Rs***, and are we effectively wasting our time – and theirs – by applying premature pressure on children? ****

Thanks in advance.

*People in different countries have different views, and even people who share one view have different political priorities.

**Experts differ, and the holders of the national purse-strings often don't care anyway.

*** See above. Note also that this is a loaded question - 'soaking up the 3Rs' might not be regarded as a worthwhile aim by all interested parties

**** Wasting our time and theirs seems to me to be a feature of any educational system I've met, and it seems to me that the wrong sort of pressure - of course at the wrong time - is applied. I also think that it's easy to underestimate a young child's ability to acquire knowledge/skills etc - the difficulty is in the observer - how do you manage the process? Should you measure it (and can you)? Are we capable of appreciating it?

b

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
*People in different countries have different views, and even people who share one view have different political priorities.

**Experts differ, and the holders of the national purse-strings often don't care anyway.

*** See above. Note also that this is a loaded question - 'soaking up the 3Rs' might not be regarded as a worthwhile aim by all interested parties

**** Wasting our time and theirs seems to me to be a feature of any educational system I've met, and it seems to me that the wrong sort of pressure - of course at the wrong time - is applied. I also think that it's easy to underestimate a young child's ability to acquire knowledge/skills etc - the difficulty is in the observer - how do you manage the process? Should you measure it (and can you)? Are we capable of appreciating it?

b
Hi BobK,
I totally agree with your comments.
Let me add a little bit more. In the late nineteenth century, the greatest names of overall business (such as Carnegie and Rockefeller) had decided that for our own good, had to be imposed in the United States the Prussian pedagogy, and that schools needed to educate young people in the indiscriminate consumption.
Summarizing, the ancient imperial China known as 'the policy of keeping people in ignorance' was adopted by Hindu India and Prussia, and from there it spread everywhere, and eventually came to America.

There’s a lot more about it. It's very interesting to read about the Prusian pedagogy.

PS Sorry if I haven’t expressed myself very well. I’ve translated it from a long magazine article that I have at home.

Best,
L54

Last edited:

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The Finns have determined that nothing much happens in primary education before age 7. And they know everything, don't they? ;)

Hi teachers,

Compulsory school start ages vary enormously worldwide. In Northern Ireland, children are obliged, according to the law, to start school at four. In England, Scotland and Wales, however, the age is five, as it is in the Netherlands and Australia. In Austria, Belgium,Czech Republic, France and Spain, it is six and in Sweden, it is seven. Why the difference? And is there an optimum time to begin school – is there a point at which a child’s brain is ready to begin soaking up the three Rs, and are we effectively wasting our time – and theirs – by applying premature pressure on children?

Thanks in advance.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
The Finns have determined that nothing much happens in primary education before age 7. And they know everything, don't they? ;)
Hi konungursvia,
I didn' know about it. Is there an article to read about it? Though, I've read that to learn a or several languages it is much better and easier before age 7.

Thanks in advance.
L54

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.