[Grammar] Countable and Uncountable (coffee)

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdf5599

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
Good morning

Today, in my college english class, we were discussing countable and uncountable nouns. Being in a C1+ class, I am really deep in the understanding of the english language, however, we reached a point in where the teacher (in my opinion) wasn't correct. The exercise was - select the right alternative in the following sentences - and the phrase was this one:
- I usually like to have a coffee/coffee before I do anything else in the morning

The teacher stated that the first one - a coffee - was the right answer. I, myself, argued that the second one - coffee - was the correct answer. She explained her choice by saying that "a coffee" eludes to a cup of coffee. I believe it would make more sense if the "cup" was there, not implied. Anyways, I let it slide, even though, I immediately replied by saying that both of them were right, since "coffee" is also correct grammar wise (can be both countable and uncountable). The difference between one another, is that the first one is specifying only one coffee whilst the other is merely declaring the action of going to have coffee. Although, my teacher affirmed that it wasn't correct, therefore where do I stand? Is the first one correct, or is the second one, are they both? Is "coffee" countable or uncountable ? Is it both?

Thank you

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, asdf5599.

Additionally, you should have capitalised 'English'.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here's why either is fine:

When we say a coffee, it's shorthand for a cup of coffee.

- You: "Would you like a coffee?" Me: "I'd love one. Thanks!"

- You: "Would you like coffee?" Me: "Only if you don't have tea."

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have a hunch that "a coffee" became more widespread as Starbucks-type shops became popular. There are now options, so it is more like coffee is an individual thing than before, when you had "some coffee" because there was just coffee. Not 20 different types and flavors and add-ons.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have a hunch that "a coffee" became more widespread as Starbucks-type shops became popular. There are now options, so it is more like coffee is an individual thing than before, when you had "some coffee" because there was just coffee. Not 20 different types and flavors and add-ons.
Nah, I've been speaking English a lot longer than that. A coffee has meant a cup of coffee ever since I was watching "Good to the last drop" commercials.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is "coffee" countable or uncountable ? Is it both?

NOT A TEACHER

Mona: I'll be back in a few minutes. I'm going to the caf(eteria) for some java. Can I get anyone else some coffee while I'm there?

Raul: I would appreciate that. Thanks.

Betty: Me, too.

George: Me, three. (Everyone laughs)

Mona: Okey doke, that's four coffees for our group. (I'll) be back in a jiffy!

Status
Not open for further replies.