Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Is cross over both a noun and a verb?

1) Primary insurance crossed the claim over to the secondary insurance after payment.

2) Secondary insurance is asking for a crossover claim.

3) Secondary insurance is asking for a crossed over claim.

Please check my sentences. Have I used it correctly?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As you can see from your own sentences "cross over" (two words) is not a noun. In sentence 2, you correctly used "crossover" (one word) and it's an adjective. The word "crossover" is also a noun.
"Cross over" is a [phrasal] verb.

I don't know what any of your sentences mean. Perhaps that's because I'm not familiar with insurance jargon but it strikes me that there is at least one article and possibly another noun missing from each sentence. I doubt that sentence 3 is correct, even in insurance jargon.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I don't think insurance, by itself, can do any crossing or asking.

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
As you can see from your own sentences "cross over" (two words) is not a noun. In sentence 2, you correctly used "crossover" (one word) and it's an adjective. The word "crossover" is also a noun.
"Cross over" is a [phrasal] verb.

I don't know what any of your sentences mean. Perhaps that's because I'm not familiar with insurance jargon but it strikes me that there is at least one article and possibly another noun missing from each sentence. I doubt that sentence 3 is correct, even in insurance jargon.

So it "cross and over" both should be used together. There shouldn't be any word between these two, right?

Could you please tell me how would you use it if you had to?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So it "cross and over" both should be used together.

There shouldn't be [STRIKE]any[/STRIKE] a word between these two, right?

Could you please tell me how would you use it if you had to? What does "it" refer to?

The sentence I've marked in blue above is grammatically incorrect and I don't know what you mean. Please try to rewrite it.

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The sentence I've marked in blue above is grammatically incorrect and I don't know what you mean. Please try to rewrite it.

So "Cross" and "Over" both should be used together. There shouldn't be a word between "Cross" and "Over". Am I correct?

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

We cannot say "A claim was crossed over". Am I correct? We can say "It was sent from primary insurance to secondary insurence".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] I mean that "cross" and "over" [STRIKE]both[/STRIKE] should be used together. There shouldn't be a word between "cross" and "over". Am I correct?

In the first sentence you gave us, it's very clear that you can put something between "cross[ed]" and "over". You correctly put "the claim" between those two words.

We cannot say "A claim was crossed over". Am I correct? We can say "It was sent from primary insurance to secondary insurance".

Without any knowledge of insurance jargon, I really can't tell you if "A claim was crossed over" is correct.

In my opinion, as I said in my first response, the other sentence needs articles and another noun. For me, it should be:

It was sent from the primary insurance company to the secondary insurance company.

I have no idea what "primary insurance" and "secondary insurance" are though.

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In the first sentence you gave us, it's very clear that you can put something between "cross[ed]" and "over". You correctly put "the claim" between those two words.

Without any knowledge of insurance jargon, I really can't tell you if "A claim was crossed over" is correct.

In my opinion, as I said in my first response, the other sentence needs articles and another noun. For me, it should be:

It was sent from the primary insurance company to the secondary insurance company.

I have no idea what "primary insurance" and "secondary insurance" are though.

Don't you have insurance? If a person has two insurances one acts as the primary payer and the other one acts as the sec payer. Secondary pays after the primary has made the payment.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Don't you have insurance? If a person has two insurances one acts as the primary payer and the other one acts as the sec payer. Secondary pays after the primary has made the payment.

Of course I have insurance but I deal with just one company for each policy. I have car insurance and contents insurance. They are with different companies. If I need to make a claim, I contact the relevant company, put in the claim and then wait for the decision and then, hopefully, the money.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I dealt with two companies went I went to America a few years ago. One (I imagine the one tufguy would call the primary insurer) covered the costs of my treatment up to a certain amount, and the other (the secondary insurer) covered any costs above that amount. I think the secondary insurance premium was much lower than the primary, presumably because short-term visitors rarely run up really high medical costs.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Some insurances do (crossing and asking).

Insurances are legal documents which provide an assurance of compensation in the event of something unfortunate happening. What you are talking about is an insurance claim exceeding a certain limit, in which case, another type/tier of insurance kicks in. As I said, insurances do not do things by themselves. They follow a certain mechanism set by the insurance companies, be they the processing of claims or other transactions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.