Describe an exciting experience you’ve had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I have chosen a IELTS practice speaking topic and written a paragraph about it. Please check them and correct any mistakes.

Topic: Describe an exciting experience you’ve had.

I once had an exciting experience in Berlin. I remember it happened in a place near walls of graffiti and I was heading to a museum. As I walked, I suddenly noticed that a large piece of dark cloud approaching me. It was very interesting to see the sky was divided into blue and grey so clearly because where I live are full of skyscrapers and they block my vision most of the time. As the cloud kept moving forward, it started to rain. I then ran quickly as if there was a tornado and tried to outpace it. It would be fun if I could get to the museum before got into the raining zone. Of course, I failed. My shoes all got wet. The cloud outpaced me quickly. But I was amazed by the view I saw; I was walking in the sun while able to see the heavy rain kept moving in front of me.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have chosen a IELTS practice speaking topic and written a paragraph about it. Please check them and correct any mistakes.

I once had an exciting experience in Berlin. I remember it happened in a place near walls of graffiti, and I was heading to a museum.

That's good.

As I walked, I suddenly noticed that a large piece of dark cloud approaching me. It was very interesting to see the sky was divided into blue and grey so clearly because where I live are full of skyscrapers and they block my vision most of the time. As the cloud kept moving forward, it started to rain. I then ran quickly as if there was a tornado and tried to outpace it. It would be fun if I could get to the museum before got into the raining zone. Of course, I failed. My shoes all got wet. The cloud outpaced me quickly. But I was amazed by the view I saw; I was walking in the sun while able to see the heavy rain kept moving in front of me.

I've got to catch some ZZZs. More later.

~R

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ron: Clouds are like sandwiches.
Don: How so?
Ron: When you cut a sandwich in two what do you get?
Don: Two sandwiches.
Ron: If you could cut a piece off a cloud what would you have?
Don: Two clouds.
Ron: See?
Don: Yes!

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Ron: Clouds are like sandwiches.
Don: How so?
Ron: When you cut a sandwich in two what do you get?
Don: Two sandwiches.
Ron: If you could cut a piece off a cloud what would you have?
Don: Two clouds.
Ron: See?
Don: Yes!
:?:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have chosen a IELTS practice speaking topic and written a paragraph about it. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I once had an exciting experience in Berlin. I remember it happened in a place near walls of graffiti, and I was heading to a museum. As I walked, I noticed that a dark cloud was coming my way. It was very interesting to see the sky was divided into blue and grey so clearly because where I live it's a place full of skyscrapers and they block my vision most of the time. As the cloud kept moving forward, rain fell from the cloud to the ground. I then ran quickly as if there was a tornado coming and I was trying to outpace it. It would be fun if I could get to the museum before it got into the raining zone. Of course, I failed. My shoes all got wet. The cloud outpaced me quickly. But I was amazed by the view I saw; I was walking in the sun while able to see the heavy rain [STRIKE]kept[/STRIKE] moving in front of me.

You could say:

The cloud left as quickly as it came.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

You used the phrase "piece of a cloud". If you could cut a cloud in two you wouldn't have a piece of a cloud. You'd have two clouds.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
You used the phrase "piece of a cloud". If you could cut a cloud in two you wouldn't have a piece of a cloud. You'd have two clouds.

But I found I say "a large piece of dark cloud". Is "a large piece of a dark cloud?" the grammatical way to say it?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But say I saw "a large piece of dark cloud". Is "a large piece of a dark cloud?" the grammatical way to say it?

You simply saw a cloud. You didn't see a piece of a cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.