... despite practicing enough I am still perplexed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Is the usage of the word "perplexed" too formal in the sentence below? Can we use this word in the contexts like this ?

There are certain topics in physics and English I have doubts about , despite practicing enough I am still perplexed.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The problem is, you haven't actually told us much about the context. Is this your sentence? Is it for speaking or writing? Who are you talking to and why? Are you trying to be especially formal or informal?

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The problem is, you haven't actually told us much about the context. Is this your sentence? Is it for speaking or writing? Who are you talking to and why? Are you trying to be especially formal or informal?
I am talking in general while discussing these two subjects and the problems we usually face, and I don't want it to be formal; it's a conversation between two college friends. I totally understand that I can simply use "confused," but still, I want to know if this works.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps: "There are certain things about physics that I am perplexed about."

Join the club!

As for having practiced enough, well, maybe you haven't (practiced enough).

(I suppose you could mention English and physics in the same sentence if the subject is things you have trouble understanding.)

Your English is not bad, but maybe you need to practice more. 😊

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There are certain topics in physics and English I have doubts about , despite practicing enough I am still perplexed.

'I have doubts about' does not seem very natural to me. I'd probably say something like 'that cause me problems'.
Don't leave a space before a comma.
The comma needs to be a semi-colon or full stop.
I think it would sound more natural if you mentioned one particular topic that perplexes you.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Agreed. It isn't a word you'd hear often in casual speech but it isn't an overly formal word either.

Status
Not open for further replies.