Diary entry -Today, I put too much toilet paper into the toilet and caused it clogged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Today, I put too much toilet paper into the toilet and caused it clogged. I tried to use a toilet pump to fix it, but I broke the pump. I knew my mother would blame me hard for that. Therefore, I immediately went out to buy a new pump and fix the toilet before she noticed. I made it! She didn't even notice I bought a new bump when I came home.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Today, I put too much toilet paper into the toilet and caused it clogged. I tried to use a toilet pump to fix it, but I broke the pump. I knew my mother would blame me hard for that. Therefore, I immediately went out to buy a new pump and fix the toilet before she noticed. I made it! She didn't even notice I bought a new bump when I came home.

1. I put too much toilet paper into the toilet sounds like a deliberate action. I don't think you did that on purpose. And the toilet sanitary fitting is called a water closet or WC. Perhaps: I flushed too much toilet paper down the water closet causing it to clog.

2 The hand-held tool with a rubber cap at the end of a shaft is called a plunger.

3. blame hard is not a good collocation.

4. How did the pump become a bump?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Today, I accidentally put too much toilet paper into the toilet and [STRIKE]caused it[/STRIKE] clogged it. I tried to use a toilet [STRIKE]pump[/STRIKE] plunger to [STRIKE]fix it[/STRIKE] clear the blockage, but I broke the [STRIKE]pump[/STRIKE] plunger. I knew my mother would [STRIKE]blame me hard[/STRIKE] be very angry with me for that no full stop here [STRIKE]Therefore,[/STRIKE] so I immediately went out to buy a new [STRIKE]pump[/STRIKE] plunger, and I fixed the [STRIKE]toilet[/STRIKE] problem before [STRIKE]she noticed[/STRIKE] my mum could find it. [STRIKE]I made it![/STRIKE] Result! She didn't even notice I'd bought a new [STRIKE]bump[/STRIKE] plunger! [STRIKE]when I came home.[/STRIKE]

See above.

The stick with a rubber piece on the end that's used for clearing blockages is usually called a "sink plunger" or a "sink/toilet plunger". It's not a pump. You didn't need to "fix the toilet" because you hadn't broken the toilet. You had blocked it and the blockage needed to be cleared.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
And the toilet sanitary fitting is called a water closet or WC. Perhaps:
We rarely use that term in everyday life. Probably the most common expression in BrE is the loo, which can refer to the room or the toilet bowl.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
We rarely use that term in everyday life. Probably the most common expression in BrE is the loo, which can refer to the room or the toilet bowl.

There seems to be differences in the terms used. We refer to the room as the toilet/loo and the fitting as WC or toilet bowl. I think those are also the universal terms used in building construction.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We do NOT normally refer to the toilet bowl as the WC.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There seems to be differences in the terms used. We refer to the room as the toilet/loo and the fitting as WC or toilet bowl. I think those are also the universal terms used in building construction.

As was brought up in a previous thread, your responses commonly use "we" but refer to Malaysian English. Most learners here are interested in learning to speak natural English as spoken in the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Ireland. These are the variants we concentrate on on the forum, and all of our moderators and almost all of the teachers are native speakers of one of those variants.
Unless specifically stated, most learners don't want to know jargon or terminology from the building trade or similar. This is an entry from someone's private diary. They don't need technical terms. They need natural, everyday English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Maybo, I would like to make the point that your writing is still quite formal for a personal diary. I know you're using it for writing practice but I think you might be interested in an alternative way of writing diary entries. Here's how I would have scribbled the day's events in my diary:

OMG! Blocked the loo! Got plunger. Tried to clear loo roll. Broke plunger! Rushed out to get a new one before mum could notice what was going on. Got home. Cleared blockage. Result! Mum didn't even noticed new plunger! Ha ha!

I'm not suggesting that you emulate that. It won't help you practise your grammatical English. I merely wrote it to demonstrate the difference between your quite formal diary entries and what a native speaker might write.

There's a difference between writing a diary and writing a journal (journalling). Many people these days use journalling as a type of therapy. The entries aren't usually simply a list of "what I did today". They're more about feelings, reactions and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.