Diary - More and more bugs are appearing in my apartments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

More and more bugs are appearing in my apartment. Sometimes I'm worried that they would go into my ears. Once when I almost fell asleep, I saw a big bug creeping on my pillow. Then, I applied some peppermint oil on the pillow to drive them away.

Last edited:
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

More and more bugs are appearing in my apartment. Sometimes I'm worried that they would go into my ears. Once, when I almost fell asleep, I saw a big bug creeping on my pillow. Then, I applied some peppermint oil on the pillow to drive them it away.

I wouldn't say I "applied" it. Instead, I would say I "put" the peppermint oil on the pillow.

(There used to be roaches in the apartment. Then one freezing winter night I let the window stay open all night. No more roaches!)

You apply oil to your skin but you probably sprinkle the oil on the pillow to make it smell.

You apply oil to your skin but you probably sprinkle the oil on the pillow to make it smell.
I used my finger to put the oil on the pillow.

More and more bugs are appearing in my apartment. Sometimes I'm worried I worry that they would go into my ears. Once when I had almost fell asleep, I saw a big bug creeping on my pillow, Then, I applied so I decided to use/put some peppermint oil on the pillow to drive them the bugs away.
I wouldn't use "it" in the last sentence, because it's not just that individual bug that's the problem.

I wouldn't use "it" in the last sentence, because it's not just that individual bug that's the problem.
When should I use “worry” or “worried”?

When should I use “worry” or “worried”?
It's "Sometimes" that makes the difference there. Either "I'm worried that one of them might get into my ear" or "Sometimes I worry that ...."

It's "Sometimes" that makes the difference there. Either "I'm worried that one of them might get into my ear" or "Sometimes I worry that ...."
I used “I’m worried”.

I used “I’m worried”.
Yes, but you used it with "Sometimes". That doesn't work. If you want to use "Sometimes", follow it with "I worry". To use "I'm worried", remove "Sometimes".

Tarheel is right, and the reason is: "sometimes" is a marker for habitual/regular/routine actions, and with (currently valid) routines, we typically use the present simple tense.

Tarheel is right, and the reason is: "sometimes" is a marker for habitual/regular/routine actions, and with (currently valid) routines, we typically use the present simple tense.
Isn't "I'm worried" the present simple tense? Is it because "I'm worried" is a passive form?

Isn't "I'm worried" the present simple tense? Is it because "I'm worried" is a passive form?
1. No, I don't think so.
2. No, definitely not.

I was thinking that "worried" is a verb there, but no, it's a state of mind. (See below.)

I'm happy.
I'm sad.
I'm upset.
I'm angry.
I'm worried.

See?

1. No, I don't think so.
2. No, definitely not.

I was thinking that "worried" is a verb there, but no, it's a state of mind. (See below.)

I'm happy.
I'm sad.
I'm upset.
I'm angry.
I'm worried.

See?
Isn't “I am happy” the simple present tense?
Can I say “Sometimes I am happy that…”?

To be fair, you have a point. "I'm worried" is indeed the present simple of "to be" + the adjective "worried".

Isn't “I am happy” the simple present tense?
Can I say “Sometimes I am happy that…”?
1. Yes. The word "worried" is an adjective there. (@emsr2d2 explained that.)
2. What's the rest of that sentence?

1. Yes. The word "worried" is an adjective there. (@emsr2d2 explained that.)
2. What's the rest of that sentence?
So if I can say “Sometimes I am happy that”, then I can say “Sometimes I am worried that”. Am I right? If I can’t use “Sometimes I am worried”, there must be something different in usage.
Example: Sometimes I am happy that I don’t need to go to school.

"Sometimes I am happy that I don't need to go to school" is OK.

"Sometimes I am worried" is OK. But don't follow it with "that". You could say: " I'm worried about that." (I don't worry as much when I have cookies. 😀)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back