Diary- My dad told us he had seen hallucinations sometimes.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

My dad told us he had seen hallucinations sometimes. At first, I was startled and asked him to see a doctor, but he refused. We asked what he had seen, and he said there were a lot of things conjuring up in his mind and he thought a lot . My mum and I doubted that he might have dementia or something else. However, after a few times of him saying that, I knew what had happened. Every time my mum tell him off, he will say that so that my mum will stop blaming him.

Some people with epilepsy sometimes have visual or auditory hallucinations. Note that we have hallucinations. What we see are those things that exist only in our imaginations and not in reality.

Apparently, he would not be specific about what he saw when he was hallucinating. You would think he would remember what he saw, wouldn't you?

If we say we doubt that somebody has dementia we mean we don't think he has dementia. However, I don't think that's what you mean.

Say:

Every time my mum tells him off he says that so she will stop yelling at him.

If we say we doubt that somebody has dementia we mean we don't think he has dementia. However, I don't think that's what you mean.
Yes. We suspected that he had.
Apparently, he would not be specific about what he saw when he was hallucinating. You would think he would remember what he saw, wouldn't you?
Yes. I think he would remember what he saw after the hallucinating finished.

He would be more believable if he had a better imagination. 😊

My dad recently told us my mum and me [that] he sometimes had seen has hallucinations. sometimes. At first, I was startled alarmed and asked him to see a doctor, but he refused. We asked him what he had seen, and he said there were a lot of things conjuring up in his mind and he thought a lot . My mum and I We doubted thought/suspected that he might have dementia or something else similar. However, after a the first few times of him saying that he claimed to have hallucinations, I knew worked out what had happened what's been happening. Every time my mum tells him off, he will say that says he's having hallucinations so that my mum will stop blaming him to make her stop.
See my various corrections and changes above. The underlined part makes no sense at all, especially the last five words. Try to find a much better way to explain what he said when he was asked what he saw when he was hallucinating.

See my various corrections and changes above. The underlined part makes no sense at all, especially the last five words. Try to find a much better way to explain what he said when he was asked what he saw when he was hallucinating.
He said he saw a lot of things appear in his mind. He didn’t know what they were, and he couldn’t help but kept thinking about them.

He said he saw a lot of things [appear] in his mind. He didn’t know what they were, and he couldn’t help but kept keep thinking about them.
That's a much better way of putting it than your original. Well done on almost getting the "couldn't help but ..." section right. Just remember that, regardless of the tense of the rest of the sentence, the verb after "help but" must be the bare infinitive. If that verb is followed by another verb, the second takes the -ing form.

I can't help but think that this might be a problem.
I can't help but keep thinking that this might be a problem.
I couldn't help but eat all the chocolates.
I couldn't help but keep eating the chocolates.
You won't be able to help but laugh.
You won't be able to help but keep laughing.

He said he saw a lot of things appear in his mind. He didn’t know what they were, and he couldn’t help but kept thinking about them.
He didn't know what they were because it didn't happen. If I would have a hallucination I would definitely remember what it was. Most of us don't have hallucinations regularly. It's not the kind of thing you can forget easily. You can certainly have a dream and not remember it. That happens all the time. However, hallucinations happen when you're awake.

Back