Diary - My dad has had a running nose for three months.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

My dad has had a running nose for three months. The doctors said he hasn't recovered from the cold but I suspect he has a rhinitis. Indeed, he had a fever in the past three month but before the fever he had already had a running nose. I used to have a rhinitis repetitively but none of them last over one month so it's strange that he still hasn't recovered.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The doctors said he hasn't recovered from the cold
That's unclear. What cold? Also, did the doctors say he still has that cold or just symptoms of it?
but I suspect he has [ 1] a rhinitis. Indeed, he's had a fever in for the past three months, but before the fever, he had already had a running runny nose. I used to have a rhinitis repetitively frequently, but none of them it never lasted over one month, so it's strange that he still hasn't recovered.
[ 1]: No "a".
He has arthritis.
She had gout.
I have asthma

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
That's unclear. What cold? Also, did the doctors say he still has that cold or just symptoms of it?
Two months ago, he had a fever so he went to see a doctor, and the doctor said he got a cold. After a month, he still has had the symptoms(runny nose and phlegm), so he went to see other doctors and they said he hasn't recovered from the cold.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
he's had a fever in for the past three months
Does that mean he has had a fever every day for the past three months? He only have a two to four day fever for the past three months.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Does that mean he has had a fever every day for the past three months? He only have a two to four day fever for the past three months.
If he had a fever for two to four days, he didn't have it for three months. He might have had several fevers over the course of the last three months, each fever lasting two to four days. Is that what you mean?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
If he had a fever for two to four days, he didn't have it for three months. He might have had several fevers over the course of the last three months, each fever lasting two to four days. Is that what you mean?
He has had one fever, which lasted two to four days, within the last three months.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two months ago, he had a fever so he went to see a doctor, and the doctor said he HAD a cold. After a month, he still HAS THE symptoms(runny nose and phlegm), so he went to see other doctors and they said he hasn't recovered from the cold.
😢

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Some people do like to use "temperature" as if it means the means the same thing as "fever". However, a fever is an abnormally high temperature.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
He only had one fever in the past three months. He didn’t have several fevers. When I was writing the diary, I didn’t remember the exact time he caught the cold so I wrote “in the past three months”

If he only had one fever, should I use “in the past three months”?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He has had only one fever in the past three months.

There!

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I thought running nose and runny nose are both used. If there a preference for runny nose?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
BrE uses "runny nose" for possession ("I've got a runny nose") and "running" when concentrating on the nose ("My nose is running like a tap!")

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
American English is exactly the same. If you say "My nose is running" you are talking about what's going on at that moment.