Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Today I learned about "sharenting" which means parents share their children photos on the internet. I feel fortunate that social media wasn't popular and smartphones hadn't been invented when I was a child. My mother loves posting photos on the internet so I bet if she was able to use smartphones when I was child, she would have put all my childhood photos on her blog.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Today I learned about "sharenting", which means parents share photos of their children photos on the internet. I feel fortunate that social media wasn't popular and smartphones hadn't been invented when I was a child. My mother loves posting photos on the internet so I bet if she was able to use she'd had a smartphone s when I was child, she would have put all my childhood photos on her blog.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo
I've never heard of sharenting before. Anyhow, somebody I met before we became Facebook friends likes to post pics of her kids on Facebook. She also likes to travel and likes to post pics of places she has visited.

"Aren't they adorable?" seems to be what people are saying when they share pics of their kids, and the response often is, "Yes, they are pretty adorable." 😀

When I view pics of places I have never visited I try to imagine what it would be like to be there. (I have to admit that my interest is mixed with a tinge of envy.)

I once said to my friend L that P has a traveling jones. Have you heard that expression?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo It's American slang. A "jones" is something you enjoy a great deal.-- something you are passionate about.

I looked up the dictionary definition, and it doesn't say the same thing. Hm. Maybe the meanings of words evolve too quickly sometimes for dictionaries to keep up. I do know that I didn't know the definition the dictionary has.
🤔

Last edited:

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
That slang "jones" is not common I think, at least where I come from. The is the first time I come across the portmanteau "sharenting". There's something similar I came across recently - shero. They are not recognized as proper words.