Diary - Today, I picked up a book I put down five or six years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Today, I picked up a book I put down five or six years ago. The book is about fashion. I remember the reason I stopped reading that book was that there were many new words. It took me an hour to read for just three to four pages. Now, I'm getting better but still, I don't know a lot of words in that book.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Today, I picked up a book I put down five or six years ago. The book It is about fashion. I remember the reason [that] I stopped reading that book it was that there were many new because it contained a lot of words that were new to me. It took me an hour to read for just three to or four pages. Now, I'm getting better I'm not finding it quite as incomprehensible this time but still, I still don't know recognise/understand a lot of the words. in that book.
See above. I think I've mentioned before that you need to practise using pronouns. You used the word "book" four times in five sentences - "a book/the book/that book/that book". After introducing the concept of "a book I hadn't read for five or six years", you should have referred to it as "it" from then on.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
How about "I picked up a book I stopped reading five or six years ago"?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

Today, I picked up a book I put down five or six years ago. The book is about fashion. I remember the reason I stopped reading that book was that there were many new words in it. It took me an hour to read for just three to or four pages. Now, I'm getting my English is better but still, I don't know understand a lot of words in that book.

Status
Not open for further replies.