Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Today I read an article about "virtual identity suicide", which means people delete their Facebook account. I don't know why people use this kind of strong words for just deleting an account. It makes me feel like somebody is doing wrong. People who invent this phrase is exaggerating, and maybe they want to avoid the public from leaving social media.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Today I read an article about "virtual identity suicide," which refers to people deleting their Facebook account. I don't know why people use those words just for deleting an account. It suggests something very serious. People who use the phrase are exaggerating, and maybe they want to discourage people from leaving social media.

Well, it's not a real death, of course. It suggests a self-inflicted death as regards social media. The idea is that Facebook is so important that leaving Facebook is like killing yourself. It's an exaggeration for (slightly) humorous effect.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Today I read an article about "virtual identity suicide," which refers to people deleting their Facebook account. I don't know why people use those words just for deleting an account. It suggests something very serious. People who use the phrase are exaggerating, and maybe they want to discourage people from leaving social media.

Well, it's not a real death, of course. It suggests a self-inflicted death as regards social media. The idea is that Facebook is so important that leaving Facebook is like killing yourself. It's an exaggeration for (slightly) humorous effect.
One day I will delete all my social media.:ROFLMAO:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo I realize that all good things come to an end, but I hope you're not leaving UE any time soon. I enjoy our conversations.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Today I read an article about "virtual identity suicide", which means people delete their Facebook account.
Is it really just about Facebook?
this kind of strong words
That's ungrammatical. Say "such strong words".
It makes me feel sounds like somebody is committing a grievous and terrible act. doing wrong.

People who invent this phrase is exaggerating, and maybe they want to avoid the public from leaving social media.
1- That's unnatural.
2- It's ungrammatical:
a- "people ... is" is wrong.
b- "avoid" is an intransitive verb, and it is not used with "from".
Rephrase it.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Is it really just about Facebook?
The article only mentioned Facebook.
b- "avoid" is an intransitive verb, and it is not used with "from".
Rephrase it.
People who invent this phrase are exaggerating, and maybe they want to discourage the public from leaving social media.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo As I already said, I think "people who use this phrase" is better. Also, they are trying to impress people with how clever they are.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Today, I read an article about "virtual identity suicide", which means refers to people deleting their Facebook account. I don't know why people would use this kind of strong words such a phrase for just deleting an account. It makes me feel like somebody is doing something wrong. People The person who invented this phrase is was exaggerating; and maybe they wanted to avoid deter the public from leaving social media.
Some people live their entire lives out online, particularly on social media. If such a person deleted their social media accounts, it would be like wiping themselves off the face of the earth.
With regard to the sentence I have underlined, I appreciate that you started with "It makes me feel ...", making it clear it's your personal opinion, but it does carry with it the idea that committing any kind of suicide is "doing something wrong". That's not everyone's opinion so your sentence is rather divisive.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Some people live their entire lives out online, particularly on social media. If such a person deleted their social media accounts, it would be like wiping themselves off the face of the earth.
With regard to the sentence I have underlined, I appreciate that you started with "It makes me feel ...", making it clear it's your personal opinion, but it does carry with it the idea that committing any kind of suicide is "doing something wrong". That's not everyone's opinion so your sentence is rather divisive.
I mean, to me, equating deleting an account to committing virtual "suicide" is exaggerating. Deleting an account is not a wrong or negative thing. Therefore, I don't like that negative association. I understand people are not talking about real suicide, just a a kind of analogy.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I mean, to me, equating deleting an account to committing virtual "suicide" is exaggerating. Deleting an account is not a wrong or negative thing. Therefore, I don't like that negative association. I understand people are not talking about real suicide, just a a kind of analogy.
It's not an exaggeration. It's a simile.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's both.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's a metaphor, and it's not exaggeration exactly. If death is an end to one's presence in the world, then eradication of one's presence on social media makes it quite fitting.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's death in the sense that you are dead on social media. Sadly, some people pretty much love their lives on social media. However, there is more to life than Facebook and Twitter. You can interact with real people.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The point is “suicide” is a strong word to me. If I delete my account and some say it’s kind of suicide, I don’t feel happy at all. If someone opened an account for his pet and posted some photos about the pet or shared its life, and one day he deleted the account, I wouldn’t call him a murder.
The point is I don’t like the native association.
That’s just my feeling and my opinion.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The point is I think “suicide” is a strong word. If I delete my account and some say it’s kind of suicide, I don’t feel happy at all. If someone opened an account for his pet and posted some photos about the pet or share its life, and one day he deleted the account, I wouldn’t call him a MURDER.
The point is I don’t like the native association.
I'm not sure what you mean by "native association". Certainly not all native speakers agree with that point of view.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I'm not sure what you mean by "native association". Certainly not all native speakers agree with that point of view.
Should be “negative”.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
There are many different ways to describe “deleting an account”, such as“ end my social media life”. That’s more soften.
Actually people can also open a new account. Then, their virtual identity resurrect.
They have the right to use “suicide”. Just I don’t like it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are many different ways to describe “deleting an account”, such as“ end my social media life”. That’s more soften.
Actually people can also open a new account. Then, their virtual identity resurrect.
They have the right to use “suicide”. Just I don’t like it.
Maybe you mean there are ways to describe that that don't suggest that the person is doing something drastic.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The point is “suicide” is a strong word* to me. If I deleted my social media account and someone say said it’s it was kind of like suicide, I don’t wouldn't feel happy at all. If someone opened an a social media account for his their pet and posted some photos about the pet of it or shared details of its life, and one day he they deleted the account, I wouldn’t call him them a murderer.
The point is I don’t like the negative association connotation.
*"Strong word" means nothing in English.

We understand that you don't like the connotation but that doesn't change the fact that "virtual [identity] suicide" is now an accepted phrase.
Your example about the social media account for a pet is irrelevant. That pet had no say in the creation or deletion of the social media account. You seem to be trying to connect suicide and murder. They're completely different.
The whole point of the phrase, as has been pointed out several times, is that when someone who shares a huge proportion of their existence on social media deletes their accounts, it is like they've died. It was by their own hand so it's compared to suicide.
If you and your friends aren't obsessive social media users, there's really nothing for you to worry about. I think you're taking it all a bit too seriously.

Are you equally upset by the common term "career suicide" (when someone (frequently someone famous) does something so heinous/offensive that no one will ever employ them again)?