Diary - Yesterday, the temperature got as low as 6°C.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Yesterday, the temperature got as low as 6°C. My dad wanted to test if water would frozen if put outside, so he put a bowl of water on the balcony. I bet it couldn’t work, and this morning I was proved right. It was just not cold enough. I can’t imagine some pipes in other countries are frozen because of the extreme cold weather. They can’t even get water to drink!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

I bet him it wouldn't wouldn't freeze, and I was proved right.

Water freezes at zero degrees Celsius. What was he thinking?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

I can imagine some pipes in other countries are frozen because of the extreme cold weather.

That's probably what you meant to say anyway.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think it's more common to say "the temperature went as low as...".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yesterday, the temperature got as low as down to 6°C. My dad wanted to test if water would frozen freeze if put outside, so he put a bowl of water on the balcony. I bet him it wouldn’t work, and this morning I was proved right. It was just not cold enough overnight. I can’t imagine believe [that] some pipes in other countries are frozen freeze because of the extreme cold. weather. They can’t even get water to drink!
Although you turned out to be right, it wasn't entirely unreasonable for your dad to carry out that experiment. The temperature reaching 6°C during the day (any time before you went to bed) doesn't exclude the possibility that it might go down to below 0°C overnight. Your dad could have saved himself the effort (and avoided losing the bet) but simply checking the weather forecast online. If it wasn't forecast to drop to 0°C, he would have known the water wouldn't freeze.
Frozen pipes are certainly a possibility in very cold winters, and it's a particular risk in unoccupied houses if a really cold snap hits and the owners failed to drain all the water out of their system before leaving.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo Which did you mean to say?

I can imagine....

OR

I can't believe....

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I can't believe....
Um. It's more like "I can't believe". I've read news about pipes froze in other countries but I don't know how it possibly happened. That's not something I can imagine in my life. It must be really cold.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Um. It's more like "I can't believe". I've read news about pipes froze freezing in other countries but I don't know how it can possibly happened happen. That's not something I can imagine in my life. It must be really cold.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Um. It's more like "I can't believe". I've read news about pipes froze in other countries but I don't know how it possibly happened. That's not something I can imagine in my life. It must be really cold.
It happens here (in this country). Because it gets cold enough for pipes to freeze is why they tell us sometimes to keep the water running.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I guess it never snows in Hong Kong, huh?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I guess it never snows in Hong Kong, huh?
There are a few reports showing that it has snowed in Hong Kong. The last one was about 48 years ago.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo Here in Charlotte there is a 50% chance of snow in any given winter. So far this winter we've had no snow. I'd say the chances at this point are somewhat less than 50% that we get snow.