Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Do I need where or in which here?

1. As his assistant, I became a member of "the Dentist's Research Organization" where I wrote articles about dentistry.

2. As his assistant, I became a member of "the Dentist's Research Organization" in which I wrote articles about dentistry.

I want to say after I became a member of that association and I was working there, I wrote articles.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do I need where or in which here?

Yes.

1. As his assistant, I became a member of [STRIKE]"[/STRIKE]the Dentist's Research Organization[STRIKE]"[/STRIKE], where I wrote articles about dentistry.

2. As his assistant, I became a member of [STRIKE]"[/STRIKE]the Dentist's Research Organization[STRIKE]"[/STRIKE], in which I wrote articles about dentistry.

I want to say after I became a member of that association and I was working there, I wrote articles.
You might get different opinions here, but I'd use where.

(The most precise phrasing would be for which, but that sounds too clunky.)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
alpacinoutd, I was just about to say that we shouldn't have to be supplying your missing punctuation marks.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Please add the required punctuation to your question in a new post.

Do I need "where" or "in which" here?

1. As his assistant, I became a member of "the Dentist's Research Organization", where I wrote articles about dentistry.

2. As his assistant, I became a member of "the Dentist's Research Organization", in which I wrote articles about dentistry.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

1. As his assistant, I became a member of "the Dentist's Research Organization", where I wrote articles about dentistry.

2. As his assistant, I became a member of "the Dentist's Research Organization", in which I wrote articles about dentistry.

Use where. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

For me, they're both wrong.

1. where is wrong because the Dentist's Research Organization is not really a place, even if that's how you consider it.

2. in which is wrong, for reasons I won't attempt to explain.

The suggestion of for which is also wrong because you didn't write the articles 'for' them (I don't think)—you just wrote them while you were a member there. And if the only connection between the DRO and your writing articles is that they were concurrent, then you can link the sentence using a 'time' word, like when or during which or after which, depending on how you phrase the sentence.

However, I'm not convinced you actually mean that. I think you mean to say something to the effect that you were writing as a representative of that organization. If that is the case, you could use under whose _____ or on behalf of whom.

Have I understood correctly? Or do you really mean to think of the DRO as a place where you did something?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
How about "...DRO, which provided me the opportunity to write articles..."?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do I need "where" or "in which" here? :tick:

1. As his assistant, I became a member of "the Dentist's Research Organization", :cross: where I wrote articles about dentistry.

2. As his assistant, I became a member of "the Dentist's Research Organization", :cross: in which I wrote articles about dentistry.
You fixed the missing quotation marks. The ones around the Dentist's Research Organization are incorrect. Sorry I didn't notice that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.