[General] Do kids in UK / US hear and speak fluently even before they learn the alphabet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fruitninja

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
United States
Do kids in UK / US hear and speak english pretty fluently even before they learn the alphabet, reading and writing? I don't really remember how i did learning my native language, because it was too long ago. And; I'm not a parent, so i don't know what kids do. I ask this question because I want to know how kids learn english, and somehow imitate the way they do. They just speak so easily, almost with no conscious effort.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Many children can utter meaningful sentences around the age of two years. Some well before that. Reading and writing come much later, typically at five or six in the UK.

Children learn to speak in their own time, but to read and write they need somebody to help them.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I didn't know Tarzan could read and write. I'm now puzzling over how it's possible to be able to read but not speak. Would he not hear his own voice as he read?

Also, where does one find a pen and paper in the jungle?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
His parents had left books behind, which he was able to decipher. If I remember the books correctly, he could write, but he couldn't speak. His parents were carrying books to teach him to read, so he worked out the links between the pictures and written words. Mind you, that was one of the less convincing aspects of the books.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do kids in UK / US hear and speak english pretty fluently even before they learn the alphabet, reading and writing?

Yes, in almost all cases. It would be very unusual for a child to learn the alphabet before they could listen and speak.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do kids in UK / US hear and speak english pretty fluently even before they learn the alphabet, reading and writing? I don't really remember how i did learning my native language, because it was too long ago. And; I'm not a parent, so i don't know what kids do. I ask this question because I want to know how kids learn english, and somehow imitate the way they do. They just speak so easily, almost with no conscious effort.

Anglophones may marvel at the ease with which Vietnamese children master their language (which is extremely difficult for adult Anglophones to learn). The difference between the way toddlers and older people learn a language is that the toddlers are simultaneously learning language and a language. They don't have a frame of reference for the complexities of the particular language they're learning; it's just the way the big people around them communicate.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
fruitninja - in case you didn't know, there's a whole field of research dedicated to this subject. It's called language acquisition.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Anglophones may marvel at the ease with which Vietnamese children master their language (which is extremely difficult for adult Anglophones to learn).

Children successfully learn their first languages everywhere. The fact that middle aged English speakers struggle with a language like Vietnamese is a separate issue. Children are hard-wired to acquire language. I'm next door to Vietnam and am studying beginner Lao- my progress is slow. ;-)

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Anglophones may marvel at the ease with which Vietnamese children master their language.

Do you mean Vietnamese children learn their language faster than English-speaking children?

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do kids in UK / US hear and speak english pretty fluently even before they learn the alphabet, reading and writing?

Kids learn by imitating their parents, and people who surround them. They don't have an understanding of the language just yet but they learn to speak like their parents and how to convey what they want to say in a way resembling their adult ones in their life. This is why people have accents. If their parents have a Southern US accent, almost certainly they will have that accent when they grow up. However, children don't have the kind of language fluency that you would expect an adult. Very frequently, children use words and grammar structures that are incorrect and in some cases don't make sense.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you mean Vietnamese children learn their language faster than English-speaking children?

No. On average, children everywhere learn their first language at the same rate. I meant that it can surprise people when they see small children fluently speaking a language they themselves find difficult. It's not rational but it's a natural reaction.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. On average, children everywhere learn their first language at the same rate. I meant that it can surprise people when they see small children fluently speaking a language they themselves find difficult. It's not rational but it's a natural reaction.

Oh well, I think it is probably true for many other languages. I have a friend who tried to study Chinese because he wanted to teach English in China and he found writing in Chinese was extremely difficult, more than speaking it.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

I think it means that something that would take an Anglophone adult years to master can be done by a native language child in much less time.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's because it is difficult. You need to master at least 3,000 characters before you have functional literacy.

An interesting side effect of the use of ideograms is that it's actually possible to read Chinese without knowing how to speak it.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Japanese and Chinese speakers, who share written characters but not pronunciation, can find writing a better way to communicate.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And in Japan, people often know the meaning of kanji (ideograms) that they don't know how to pronounce.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Mind you, I know some words in English from reading that I have never pronounced, and can get things like the stressed syllable wrong.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No doubt. A few years ago, I still did not know how to correctly pronounce Asiago (some people pronounced it like Asian Go) or Acai berry (some pronounced it like Akai). LOL.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Mind you, I know some words in English from reading that I have never pronounced, and can get things like the stressed syllable wrong.

That's certainly possible in English. I'd venture to guess that it's common among avid readers. But we generally have a general outline of the pronunciation even if we mangle it. In Japan, as I understand it, it's extremely common to be able to read and write quite a few words without the faintest idea of their pronunciation.

People driving in unfamiliar areas may stop and ask directions to a place whose kanji name they know. They draw the characters on one palm with the index finger of the other hand, while their interlocutor watches closely. The helpful stranger may then nod and give turn-by-turn directions through towns they also can't pronounce, using the draw-on-the-palm technique to communicate that critical information.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.