Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Germany
Hello all,
I have read that "do shopping" is not grammatically correct because "do" must be followed by the article "the", so the correct sentence is "do the shopping" then I saw some other sentences were written by native English people and they were written without the article "the", my questions are:
1) Is it grammatically incorrect to write "do shopping"? If so, then is it incorrect because of the reason they mentioned?

2) I think when we say "I will do shopping now" means that I will do the shopping task now, but when I we say "I will do the shopping", here it means that I will do the task that I used to do everyday, so am I correct?

3) I know that "go shopping" means to go shopping for anything in general wither for buying necessary things like food or additional or unnecessary things like bags, jewelries and it also means to do it at anytime. "Do shopping" means to buy the necessary things for the day , it's like a routine or a daily task that is done every day or regularly to to buy the necessary things for life like food, drink, toothpaste, soap and etc, so am I right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please ask only one question at a time. I have faded out the others, which you can repost (one at a time) later.

I have read that "do shopping" is not grammatically correct because "do" must be followed by the article "the", so the correct sentence is "do the shopping".

There is no rule that 'do' must be followed by 'the'. (I do my shopping at Asda. I do 50 press-ups before breakfast.)
Is it grammatically incorrect to write "do shopping"?

It's not very colloquial without adding something. I do grocery shopping for my grandma every Tuesday.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I do the shopping for the whole family.