Do we humans have free will? If we do, when did it develop in the process of evolution?

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Do we humans have free will? If we do, when did it develop in the process of evolution?

The question here is whether the word "when" is used correctly. Should it be replaced with "where"?

Source: I wrote it from my memory based on Stephen Hawking's The Grand Design, in which Hawking actually wrote like this: "Do people have free will? If we have free will, where in the evolutionary tree did it develop?"

Apparently, the word "where" in Hawking's sentence is appropriately used in collocation of "tree". But in my sentence from the memory, "when" is collocated with "process", which seems okay to me and could not be replaced with "where".

Unfortunally, I am not sure I've 100% conveyed Hawking's meaning with the sentence of mine. It seems to be close, or it might have deviated a lot. I am not certain.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think "where" is to do with the point in time in the time period of the process of evolution, whereas "when" is a particular stage during the process of evolution. In the context, it it doesn't make much difference.