Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Cyprus
Current Location
Canada
Hi,

I guess I have an accent, I want to know what you guys think. I have made a recording reading a paragraph and I will appreciate any feedback that you may have for me. I hope it isn't to thick and you can understand. Basically I would like to know if I sound American or not.

This is the text -

I prodded the noodles in silence, guessing that Charlie would get around to talking about whatever was bothering him in his own time. My dad was not a man of many words, and the effort he had put into trying to orchestrate a sit-down dinner with me made it clear there were an uncharacteristic number of words on his mind.

This is the recording -

https://www.speakpipe.com/voice-recorder/msg/38gj1aymvfpnf43h

Your phonemes sound pretty American. Your weakest point is that you often stress the wrong syllable. I have a feeling your delivery is better in extemporaneous speech; reading from a text can interfere with smooth delivery.

I did hear an accent but for the most part I understood what you said. I think if you slow down a little, you would sound better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back