Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[From Let's talk in English]

Matt: Look at this picture, Julie. Isn't it beautiful?
Julie: It is! The ocean is so calm. Is that your friend in the kayak?
Matt: Yes. He loves boats. And kayaks are his favorite kind.
Julie: I like kayaks, too. I often paddle my kayak on the pond behind my house.
Matt: How fun! What's the pond like?
Julie: It's quite big and very pretty. I enjoy the beauty of nature there.
Matt: Do you kayak other places?
Julie: I kayak on rivers sometimes.
Matt: The water in rivers can be fast.
Julie: I know! It's a lot of fun. You have to try it sometime.
Matt: I might. But I don't spend much time in boats. I usually swim in summer.
---
Me: "Do you kayak other places?" Is this sentence grammatically correct?

ChatGPT: Yes, the sentence "Do you kayak other places?" is grammatically correct. [...] The phrase "other places" functions as an adverbial phrase modifying the verb "kayak."

Me:
a. "Do you kayak other places?"
b. "Do you kayak in other places?"
Do they both work and mean the same?

ChatGPT:
Both sentences are grammatically correct, but they convey slightly different meanings.

a. "Do you kayak other places?" - This sentence implies that the person being addressed engages in kayaking but asks if they kayak at locations other than the ones previously mentioned or known. It suggests that there are specific known places or locations where the person typically kayaks, and the question is about kayaking elsewhere.

b. "Do you kayak in other places?" - This sentence asks if the person being addressed engages in kayaking at different locations generally. It doesn't assume any specific known places and asks if the person kayaks at various other places in general.

In summary, both sentences are correct, but sentence (a) suggests known or specific places, while sentence (b) is more open-ended and asks about kayaking in general at different locations.

Me: Can (b) be used to mean (a)?

ChatGPT:
Yes, sentence (b) "Do you kayak in other places?" can be used to convey a similar meaning as sentence (a) "Do you kayak other places?" in certain contexts. While they have slightly different nuances, the use of "in" in sentence (b) can be understood to encompass the idea of kayaking at specific known places as well.

In practice, the distinction between the two sentences may not always be significant, and the context and the conversation can help clarify the specific meaning intended by the speaker. Therefore, in some cases, sentence (b) can be used to mean the same as sentence (a), depending on the context and the speaker's intention.
---
Question: Do you agree with ChatGPT?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it seems like a good analysis.

When the person says "Do you kayak other places?" what is meant is "Do you kayak other places than the place you mentioned." (It seems to me that that's good enough. (Usually, when people find something they stop looking.))

Thanks to @emsr2d2

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I say they have the same meaning in this context.