Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A group of friends were sitting together chatting. And Sherry was talking about her meetings with her friends.

Sherry: I went to Jinyu three times, which is quite far from here. It took me two hours back and forth.
Martin: Yes, it's quite far from here. I went there by taking the subway, it was still very tiring.
Nannie: Have you ever asked your friends to meet up here in Shapingba?
Sherry: No never. Now we sometimes find middle places to meet.*

Is it italic sentence natural? If not, how would native speakers phrase it? The intended meaning is "Sherry and her friends now find their meeting places to be both not too far from them, either of them needs to go to a specific place to meet each other".

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
We meet somewhere halfway between.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Sherry: I went to Jinyu three times, which is quite far from here. It took me takes two hours there and back. and forth.
"Back and forth" is used for repeated actions. If each part of the journey takes two hours, then use "It takes two hours each way".
Martin: Yes, it's quite far from here. I went there by taking the subway, and it was still very tiring.
Without the "and" I added, you had a comma splice.
Nannie: Have you ever asked your friends to meet up here in Shapingba?
Sherry: No never, but now we sometimes (try to) find middle places somewhere halfway to meet.

Is it the italic sentence natural? If not, how would native speakers phrase it? The intended meaning is: Sherry and her friends now find their meeting places to be both meet somewhere not too far from where they live. them, either of them needs to go to a specific place to meet each other".
See above.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
An hour each way would be a total of two hours. Do you mean that or do you mean two hours going and two hours coming back?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That only works for two people. Silver is talking about a group.
Fair point. I thought all the people involved were in either Jinyu or Shapingba, the only two places mentioned in post #1.