Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I ran into a story translated by a non-native English speaker and I think there's something wrong with the words in bold. I can't decide, though. Am I correct?
"According to the programme of the holiday, they took us to several places including the malls, museums and a free tour.... But the worst thing is that the weather was rainy..... It was really a wonderful holiday after a hard school year. "

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore

Hay

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
If he had already referred to the malls, "the" is correct.

If he's talking about the weather at that time, he needs to use "was".

This sounds all right.

Hay

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
So if the word" malls" wasn't mentioned before, would it be correct to omit "the"? Is that what you mean?
Should we put comma before "including"?
Many thanks

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
So if the word" malls" wasn't mentioned before, would it be correct to omit "the"? Is that what you mean?
Yes.

Should we put in a comma before "including"?
No.

According to the programme of the holiday,

This is unnatural phrasing by the way. It can either be dropped or the sentence can be reworded to say "The programme included visits to various places including malls and museums and a free tour of ..."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Hay

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Yes.
No.

This is unnatural phrasing by the way. It can either be dropped or the sentence can be reworded to say "The programme included visits to various places including malls and museums and a free tour of ..."
Does it sound natural to end the sentence like this".... and a free tour. " without using "of" after "tour".
Thanks again

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Does it sound natural to end the sentence like this with "... and a free tour", without using "of" after "tour"?
Thanks again
Note my changes above. You can't end the sentence with "and a free tour of." That's not grammatical. You have to end with either "and a free tour" or "and a free tour of [place/area]".

Don't thank us in advance for anything. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any post you find helpful. It saves time for everyone.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

One bad thing was the weather. It rained all day.

If it was the only bad thing worth mentioning, then why say it was the worst thing?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I ran into came across a story translated by a non-native English speaker and I think there's something wrong with the words in bold. I can't decide, though. Am I correct?
"According to the programme of the holiday, they took us to several places including the malls, museums and a free tour, but the worst thing is that the weather was rainy. It was really a wonderful holiday after a hard school year. "
Note my corrections above. If you transcribed it exactly as you found it, the writer made errors by using those four dots - there are only three in an ellipsis, and an ellipsis wasn't appropriate in either position.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
and a free tour. "
I assumed you meant a free tour of some place and the name of the place had been replaced with those dots.

I wouldn't just end it with "and a free tour". I'd specify what the free tour was of.

Hay

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Perhaps:

One bad thing was the weather. It rained all day.

If it was the only bad thing worth mentioning, then why say it was the worst thing?
The sentences before this says, " Last year I went on a holiday to Cairo in Egypt. I went with my family....... The best thing about the holiday was that we visited a variety places, old and modern, but the worst thing is the weather was rainy."
If there are some mistakes could you please point them out?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I see no reason to use the ellipsises. I think they spoil the writing.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I see no reason to use the ellipsises ellipses. I think they spoil the writing.
@Hay If and when you need to use an ellipsis (only when it's appropriate), remember that it consists of only three dots with a space either end.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't use "worst" unless I was comparing that thing to other bad things. In fact, in conversation you might hear somebody talk about his troubles and at some point day, "Oh, but you haven't heard the worst of it yet."

I wouldn't use "worst" to talk about one bad thing that wasn't all that bad. (Having to put up with rain is pretty far down the list of bad things that can happen to you.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The sentences before this says, " Last year I went on a holiday to Cairo in Egypt. I went with my family....... The best thing about the holiday was that we visited a variety places, old and modern, but the worst thing is the weather was rainy."
If there are some mistakes could you please point them out?
I just realized that I didn't read that completely before. If you are comparing the best thing that happened to the worst thing that happened then it sort of makes sense.

If you got to visit several places it was a good day.

I would say: some old and some new, OR some modern and some ancient.

Status
Not open for further replies.