Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I asked a staff member in a hotel, "Do you offer buffets today?"
The hotel doesn't have buffets everyday.

Is it correct to use "offer" in the above sentence?

It's not natural.

Are you doing buffets/a buffet today?
Is there a buffet today?

Most places have a single buffet. You should ask whether it's open today.

Most places have a single buffet. You should ask whether it's open today.
Do you mean "Is the restaurant open today"? The one I visited has lunch, tea and dinner buffets. When they don't do a buffet, they would let customers to order food and have waiters to serve. So the restaurant is still open but just don't do the buffet.

I might also ask "Do you have a/the buffet today?"

I assume the OP is referring to the kind of restaurant that has tables with a standard menu and table service, but sometimes does a buffet. There are a lot of pubs in the UK that do that. Monday to Saturday, they have a standard menu but on a Sunday they do a Sunday roast buffet.

Do you mean "Is the restaurant open today?"? The one I visited has lunch, tea and dinner buffets. When they don't do a buffet, they have table service. So the restaurant is still open, but they just don't do the buffet.

See above.

Do you mean "Is the restaurant open today"? The one I visited has lunch, tea and dinner buffets. When they don't do a buffet, they would let customers [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] order food and have waiters [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] serve it. So the restaurant is still open but just don't do the buffet.
No. If you want to know about the buffet, ask "Is the lunch/tea/dinner buffet open today?"

See above. You let someone do something or allow someone to do it.

To say they "let" the people order food makes it seem like they are doing them a favor. Instead, the whole purpose of a restaurant is to serve food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back