Academic
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello.
I am wondering if it is correct and elegant enough to say that a reading – in the sense of an interpretation of an author – emphasizes that...
Below, the passage is in bold. Before the passage, I put some context in order for you to better understand my question.

Spencer argues that the institutions of Western capitalism have been gradually selected throughout a historical evolutionary process. But why [or what] does it matter that the Western institutions of capitalism developed and spread probably in a process of selective evolution? What is Spencer trying to prove? One possible answer could be that Spencer, with his historical narrative, tries to put forth an ethical argument for the endorsement of capitalist institutions, by showing that [...] The present paper offers an alternate reading. Indeed, the paper contends that Spencer does put forth an ethical argument for the endorsement of capitalist institutions, but only in the last years of his long intellectual/academic career (namely, in the 1880s). [...] Prior to that decade, Spencer presented an efficiency argument for endorsing capitalism.
Our alternate reading requires careful description and analysis, as, on the one hand, it [the reading] emphasizes that Spencer's thought originally had an economic focus, based on the concept of efficiency, not an ethical one [...] On the other hand, our reading emphasizes that [...]
I am not sure the passage in bold is correct and elegant enough, because I have always encountered the verb "to emphasize" with a person as the subject: "this author emphasizes that", "this politician emphasizes that", etc.
Moreover, I would like to avoid "according to it [the reading], Spencer's though originally had...".
I have also though of another formulation, but I find it too heavy.

Our alternate reading requires careful description and analysis, as, on the one hand, it [the reading] rests on the idea that Spencer's thought originally had an economic focus, based on the concept of
Thank you very much for your help.
Regards.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, there's no problem using 'emphasizes'.
You can't say that you're comparing your alternate reading with your reading. You need to compare it to your first, or original, reading. They are both your readings.
I guess you've included "[the reading]" for our benefit. It's not necessary. The referent of 'it' is clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.