Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I've written a question about final vowels and now I come here again with another one :)

I've heard that "many English sounds are articulated in your throat". Is it true? I'm not so sure about it, because I think that "talking in your throat" would hurt, but I've tried and if I do I can pronounce correctly words that were impossible for me first.

I'm waiting for your opinions :) I'm ready to explain if I weren't clear!

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I think an explanation might help.

Can you give us an example of something pronounced in the throat?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are you referring to places of articulation - where sounds are produced? I guess it depends what you mean by 'throat', but there are still only 5 'throat' sounds in English.

English has a voiceless glottal stop /Ɂ/, represented by the pause between the two syllables in the interjection 'uh-oh', and a voiceless glottal fricative /h/, as in 'high'. Glottal sounds originate near the epiglottis.

Those are as deep in the throat as you can go in English. However, English also has some velar consonants such as /k/ as in 'cake' , /g/ as in 'go', and /ŋ/ as in 'sing'. These are produced at the vellum, at the very back of the mouth/top of the throat.

Is this what you mean?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Why not record some sounds and let us hear?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
English also has some velar consonants such as /k/ as in 'cake' , /g/ as in 'go', and /ŋ/ as in 'sing'.
Italian also has those sounds, so I'm not sure whether that's what the OP means.
/k/ - che, chi, chianti, words in 'ch', 'ca', 'co', 'cu'; /g/ words in 'gh', 'ga', 'go', 'gu'.
I'm not sure about /ŋ/.

Here's an article on articulation with illustration of post-velar sound sites. I can't think of any in English that Skrej hasn't mentioned.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Place_of_articulation

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.