Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
From the English Patient

14th century

“It was a bloody life. Daggers and politics and three-decker hats and colonial padded stockings and wigs. Wigs of silk! Of course Savonarola came later, not much later, and there was his Bonfire of the Vanities. Poliziano translated Homer. He wrote a great poem on Simonetta Vespucci, you know her?

No, said Hana, laughing.

Paintings of her all over Florence. Died of consumption at twenty-three. He made her famous with Le Stanze per la Gios-tra and then Botticelli painted scenes from it. Leonardo painted scenes from it. ”

Question1:Does "three-decker hats"refers to Tiara which is wore by The Pope?Or is there any other kind of hat(not Tiara) that has three layers?

Question2:What does Le Stanze per la Gios-tra mean? Is it Latin or Italian?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
From the English Patient

14th century

“It was a bloody life. Daggers and politics and three-decker hats and colonial padded stockings and wigs. Wigs of silk! Of course Savonarola came later, not much later, and there was his Bonfire of the Vanities. Poliziano translated Homer. He wrote a great poem on Simonetta Vespucci, you know her?

No, said Hana, laughing.

Paintings of her all over Florence. Died of consumption at twenty-three. He made her famous with Le Stanze per la Gios-tra and then Botticelli painted scenes from it. Leonardo painted scenes from it. ”

Question1:Does "three-decker hats"refer[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] to the Tiara which is wor[STRIKE]e[/STRIKE]n by The Pope?Or is there any other kind of hat(not Tiara) that has three layers?

I don't think it does; and there were.

Incidentally 'the tiara which is worn by the Pope' sounds rather odd. The phrase 'the Papal Tiara' exists, but the word 'tiara' on its own usually refers to what princesses wear!

Question2:What does Le Stanze per la Gios-tra mean? Is it Latin or Italian?

Italian - but that word doesn't mean a lot ^*^ when he was writing La Giostra

b

* PS This addition '[...doesn't mean a lot] when used to refer to the languages spoken in what is now known as 'Italy' at the time [when he was ...]' explains (but doesn't really justify :oops:) the change of tense from 'doesn't mean' to 'he was writing'. Sorry.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In case you missed it, I added a PS to my last post to clarify the last sentence.

b

sherishine

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't think it does; and there were.

Incidentally 'the tiara which is worn by the Pope' sounds rather odd. The phrase 'the Papal Tiara' exists, but the word 'tiara' on its own usually refers to what princesses wear!

You mentioned that there were other three-level hats, could you cite a few examples about these hats? In 14th century, who wore these kind of hats?What kind of status did it represent?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

sherishine

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks !

It is really informative,and I find more stories about the hatsO(∩_∩)O

Yet,I still can't find the information about three-decked hats.Bob,do you remember the kind of hat that has three-levels?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks !

It is really informative,and I find more stories about the hatsO(∩_∩)O

Yet,I still can't find the information about three-decked hats.Bob,do you remember the kind of hat that has three-levels?
I don't think the author has any particular style in mind - he just means ornate/elaborate hats. (Anyway, that's how I read it: the five particular things he mentions are just supposed to evoke an atmosphere of elaborate 'high living' masking a reality of bloody mayhem.)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.