Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody!

Including the inside of the injector, the holes and gaps that are the fuel paths for the fuel system have an extremely precise finish.

The way I understand the question is as follows:

All the three parts, namely, the inside of the injector, the holes and gaps have a surface which is very precisely finished or the holes and gaps together with the inside of the injector have a surface which is very precisely finished.

The context is as follows:

Therefore, because there is the possibility of damage if foreign material becomes mixed in, cover the cap after removing parts, etc., to prevent the entry of foreign material.

What do you think?

Than you.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello everybody!

Including the inside of the injector, the holes and gaps that are the fuel paths for the fuel system have an extremely precise finish.

The way I understand the sentence is as follows:

All the three parts, namely, the inside of the injector, the holes and gaps have surfaces that are very precisely finished [yes] or the holes and gaps together with the inside of the injector have surfaces that are very precisely finished [same thing!].

The conclusion is as follows:

Therefore, because there is the possibility of damage if foreign material becomes mixed in, cover the cap after removing parts [delete: , etc.,] to prevent the entry of foreign material.

What do you think?

Thank you.

Yes! There was no question, just a statement. And you haven't provided any context, you just explained why you think covering the cap matters.

Avoid "etc." It doesn't mean much and is sloppy English. If you mean "and so on," say so. (Here "and so on" wouldn't make sense.)

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Avoid "etc." It doesn't mean much and is sloppy English. If you mean "and so on," say so.

The movie "The King and I", starring Yul Brynner, comes to mind.:)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The fuel paths have a very precise finish. The path includes whatever holes and gaps exist in other parts through which fuel passes, and also includes the internal passageways inside the injector.

J

J&K Tutoring

"cover the cap" This is the problem part. Both cover and cap can be nouns or verbs, so 'cover the cap' and 'cap the cover' could have the same meaning.

I think, however, that both are incorrect in this instance. Fuel injection systems typically use pipes (one for each cylinder plus a common overflow return) to deliver fuel from a high-pressure pump to the individual injectors. During service, these pipes are among the first things removed, and caps are used at the points where each end of the mentioned pipes are connected.

I suggest something like: Therefore, because there is the possibility of damage if foreign material becomes mixed in, install caps after removing delivery lines to prevent the entry of foreign material.

Status
Not open for further replies.