Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, sorry about that. Again, help is also welcome ;)

Well, you're welcome to make sure that your information is actually correct in the first place by checking with us here at the forum.

Kikwang

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Belgium
The problem with any project like this is that English simply has way too many variants, dialects, accents, or whatever you want to call them and categorize as. It's the language with the highest number of speakers in the world, by a long shot, when you include people who've learned English as a second language, of course depending on at what level of proficiency you're willing to call them "speakers of English". Everyone seems to want to learn it, and there's hardly anyone in the world who has no knowledge of English. It's used as a lingua franca whenever there are people who can't speak one another's languages. Some countries whose population speaks various languages, like Uganda, use English as their common language.

In today's era of globalization and with the ease of communication with anyone around the world provided by the internet, these "variants" have mixed, merged, and interchanged making it nearly impossible to talk about "American English" or "British English" as somehow homogenous variates, separate from each other. Even people from the same area can speak English differently, especially when you factor in their age, level of education, or even just personal preferences. I've met Americans who use "typical British expressions", as well as Brits who use "typical American expressions". There's lots of gray area.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think one person can do this all by themselves. It would require an extensive survey and lots upon lots of grunt work that would have to be done over many years of meticulous study. Otherwise, you'll end up with a list of differences that will be very arguable because there will always be at least one native speaker of one of the varieties you've described who will simply say "I'm a speaker of this variety and I don't speak like that".
Excellent point. Apart from the regional accents, there are so many resources you can find. For example, in my research, I was trying stick to what was defined as the standard language like the Standard American English or R.P. English.
But that made it really interesting. I have worked for NATO in Belgium, and as such we had American, Canadian and British staff working together. It was always funny to discuss the language differences between the three varieties. Also, working with non-native speakers (including me), a standard form of English had to be used so everybody could be on the same page.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
...working with non-native speakers (including me), a standard form of English had to be used so everybody could be on the same page.
Is there even such a thing as a standard form of English?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Also, working with non-native speakers (including me), a standard form of English had to be used so everybody could be on the same page.

For me personally, it is this standard form (what's usually called International Standard English) that I as a teacher (as opposed to a linguist) find much more interesting.

Is there even such a thing as a standard form of English?

Oh, yes. There are serious difficulties associated with this idea, to be sure, but yes, this is the target language form that I teach every day and encourage my teachers to use and teach in class.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I should at some point stop being amazed at how widely English is used. When you count people who use it as a second language it may very well may be the most spoken language on the planet. (English is an official language in seven African countries.)

I have several Facebook friends in Kenya, where many people speak English as a first or second language. I also have Facebook friends in the Philippines, where they speak English as a first, second, or third language.

People speak English just about anywhere. (The Mark Angel comedies are produced in Nigeria using English as the language of choice. (They're funny!))

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I wholeheartedly believe English is the closest thing we have to the common language of a unified humanity.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In contemporary American slang that's called a wife-beater. 🙂
I learnt that particularly choice little nugget from the incredible US series Oz. I love it but don't watch it if you're easily offended!

Status
Not open for further replies.