Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
I got caught off guard the other day in a lesson. How would you answer the following question?

Grammar focus: Participle clauses
Task: Fill in the blank with either Present participle clause or Prefect participle clause.

"But when I was 18, _________ (work) hard to get the grades I needed, I decided I really wanted to pursue a career as an artist."

Answer: having worked hard

The student did not get the correct answer. I explained that 'he' had worked hard before deciding to become an artist and this explains his reasoning for making his decision. He decided to become an artist because he had worked hard to get the grades he needed.

The students asks, how do I know from this context that 'he' had worked hard before deciding to become an artist.
I could not come up with a logical explanation. What have I missed?

Thanks for you time,
Memphis_Pat

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think the understanding comes largely from the fact that he's 18. This is often the point at which somebody has finished school, has gotten their grades and makes future decisions based thereon.

Manali13

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Not a teacher.

The present participle 'having' when placed before a past participle (worked) indicates a completed action. That's a rule in itself.

'Having worked hard (having already completed working hard) to get the grades I needed, I decided I really wanted to...'

Having improved my skills (having already completed improving my skills), I decided to take part in the competition.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, Manali13.

Please note the following extract from the forum's Posting Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.