Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello.

<Edward had a good life. He lived with his mum and dad in a fabulous derelict mansion. From his attic bedroom he enjoyed a fifteen kilometre view.~>

These are from a chapter book for children. I don't understand the underlined part. Doesn't 'derelict' mean 'not used in bad condition'?
Please help!!

not used or cared for and in bad condition

Hello.

<Edward had a good life. He lived with his mum and dad in a fabulous derelict mansion. From his attic bedroom he enjoyed a fifteen kilometre view.~>

These are from a chapter book for children. I don't understand the underlined part. Doesn't 'derelict' mean 'not used in bad condition'?
Please help!!

not used or cared for and in bad condition
"Derelict" is a bad choice of words, "dilapidated" would be better.

Thanks your reply. But, can the word, derelict[or dilapidated], be used with fabulous or mansion? In the story, his father works for a big company in town and he has a good life every day.

Thanks your reply. But, can the word, derelict[or dilapidated], be used with fabulous or mansion? In the story, his father works for a big company in town and he has a good life every day.
I think the idea is that the mansion is so big and luxurious [spacious, ornate, surrounded by gardens ...] that it's fabulous even if it is derelict. Perhaps the family lives in only one wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back