[Grammar] Family vacations were a high point in my childhood because my parents usually planned

Status
Not open for further replies.

newkeenlearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
United States
Hi,
Could anyone check this context for any mistakes? I have rewritten in many time and made some changes. However, I am not sure if it is OK or not.

"Family vacations were a high point in my childhood because my parents usually planned on taking a holiday twice a year.
We also used to go to the seaside almost most weekends as we owned a beautiful home vacation by the sea and we could go to the beach everyday.
It was in North of Iran where we usually spend our holidays because it was and still is one of the most popular vacation spots in Iran where a lot of people enjoyed spending time around the beach, strolling along the shore, lying and sunbathing on the beach."

Thanks so much.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Family vacations were a high point in my childhood because my parents usually planned on taking a holiday twice a year.
[Grammatical, but not logical. Your parents planning on a holiday twice a year is not an explanation for why your vacations were a high point.]
We also used to go to the seaside [STRIKE]almost[/STRIKE] most weekends as we owned a beautiful vacation home by the sea and we could go to the beach everyday. Most = almost every (here).
It was in the north of Iran where [I'd use 'that'] we usually spend our holidays because it was, and still is, one of the most popular vacation spots in Iran, where a lot of people enjoy[STRIKE]ed[/STRIKE] (they still do) spending time around the beach, strolling along the shore, lying and sunbathing on the beach."
Be careful with 'because'. The last sentence doesn't follow logically either. It reads as if you only went there because it's popular, regardless of whether you actually enjoyed it.
Your grammar's good. The comma after 'Iran' signifies that this is a non-defining clause.

newkeenlearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
United States
Be careful with 'because'. The last sentence doesn't follow logically either. It reads as if you only went there because it's popular, regardless of whether you actually enjoyed it.
Your grammar's good. The comma after 'Iran' signifies that this is a non-defining clause.
Thanks for your great informative information. I have made mentioned changes as following:

Family vacations were a high point in my childhood. I can clearly remember that my parents occasionally planned on going on a trip twice or three times a year, and we often used to go to the seaside most weekends because we owned a beautiful vacation home by the sea, and we could go to the beach everyday.
It was in the north of Iran that we preferred to spent our holidays, especially summer holidays. It was, and still is, one of the most popular holiday spots in Iran, where a lot of people enjoy spending time around the beach, strolling along the shore, and lying and sunbathing on the beach.

newkeenlearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
United States
Your grammar's good.
Thanks so much. Your comment makes me feel so happy. I have tried to improve it more.
[Grammatical, but not logical. Your parents planning on a holiday twice a year is not an explanation for why your vacations were a high point.]

I sometimes have difficulty establishing logical relationships between my ideas within a paragraph. I don't know how I can solve or at least improve it.

Can the following make sense: (I am thinking about this for 1 hour )
Family vacations were a high point in my childhood as/because my parents always wanted to form and also strength a close bond between members of family by spending time with each other.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could [STRIKE]anyone[/STRIKE] someone check this [STRIKE]context[/STRIKE] paragraph for [strike]any[/strike] mistakes? I have rewritten [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] it many times and made some changes.

See above.

Also, saying you have rewritten it and made some changes is tautologous. The act of rewriting something already suggests making changes to it.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Family vacations were a high point in my childhood as/because my parents always [STRIKE]wanted[/STRIKE] managed to form and also strengthen a close bond between members of the family by spending time with each other.
That's an improvement. Your vacations were a high point because your parents always managed to strengthen family bonds during the vacations.

Status
Not open for further replies.