Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I am talking about the benefits of learning English. Are the parts marked by asterisks correct? I will write the corrected versions.

1. There are a lot of benefinits if you speak English. You can get a better job and you *are more competetive.* I am not sure it is wrong.

2.You can communicate with people from all around the world and *find* many new friends.
English is the native language not only for Great Britian and the USA. I think it should be "make new friends."

3. It is also a second language in other countries.

4. So, *English knowledge* can help us during our trips. Also, I think that learning a foreign language is useful for the brain. I think it should be "knowledge of English can help."

I am talking about the benefits of learning English. Are the parts marked by asterisks correct? I will write the corrected versions.

1. Here, there are a lot of benefinits benefits if you speak to speaking English. You can get a better job and you *are more competitive.* I am not sure it is wrong.
No, speaking English doesn't make you more competitive. It might, however, give you the edge in a competitive job market. Note my other corrections. As someone said in another of your threads, you need to install an English spellchecker on your browser. That would avoid basic mistakes like "benefinits" and "competetive".
2. You can communicate with people from all around the world and *find* many new friends. English is the native language not only for in Great Britain and the USA.
I think it should be "make new friends."
You can use "find" or "make" there. Note my other corrections. You're still making spacing errors.
3. It is also a second language in other many countries.
Do you mean it's the second official language in many countries? If so, that's what you should say. Otherwise, you're just saying that lots of people across the world speak English as their second language.
4. So, *English knowledge* can help us during our trips when we travel [internationally]. Also, I think that learning a foreign language is useful good for the brain.
I think it should be "knowledge of English can help."
You're right. "A/Some knowledge of English" works much better. Note my other corrections above.

No, speaking English doesn't make you more competitive. It might, however, give you the edge in a competitive job market. Note my other corrections. As someone said in another of your threads, you need to install an English spellchecker on your browser.
Yes, I explained that I can't dowloaded. I must check it again. There must be a problem.
That would avoid basic mistakes like "benefinits" and "competetive".

You can use "find" or "make" there. Note my other corrections.

You're still making spacing errors.
I don't know why. When I type I use it only once.

Do you mean it's the second official language in many countries? If so, that's what you should say. Otherwise, you're just saying that lots of people across the world speak English as their second language.

You're right. "A/Some knowledge of English" works much better. Note my other corrections above.
Is there any difference in meaning between "a knowledge," "the knowledge," and "some knowledge"?

The word "knowledge" isn't quantifiable.

The word "knowledge" isn't quantifiable.
Perhaps I am wrong but I remember in one of the discussions that "a knowledge of English" refers to some basic knowledge. But without the article it implies good knowledge. Then "Some knowledge" refers to a little knowledge. I just don't remember the explanation correctly. Am I wrong?

No, speaking English doesn't make you more competitive. It might, however, give you the edge in a competitive job market. Note my other corrections. As someone said in another of your threads, you need to install an English spellchecker on your browser. That would avoid basic mistakes like "benefinits" and "competetive".

You can use "find" or "make" there. Note my other corrections. You're still making spacing errors.

Is it wrong to say "English is *a* second language" and *a native language"?

1. English is a native language not only in Great Britain and the USA. I think "a native language" suggests there could be a few native languages. But "English is the native language" means there is only one.

2. It is also a second language in many other countries. "A second language" I understand it to mean the second language a person speaks anywhere in the world or a second official language.

3. It is also the second language in many other countries. I am confused by this example. Would it mean the same as #2?

Am I right?

Last edited:
Perhaps I am wrong but I remember in one of the discussions that "a knowledge of English" refers to some basic knowledge. But without the article it implies good knowledge. Then "Some knowledge" refers to a little knowledge. I just don't remember the explanation correctly. Am I wrong?
No, you are probably right that you don't remember the explanation correctly.

You can have a little knowledge of something. You can have some knowledge. You can have a great deal of knowledge.

The term "basic knowledge" is used, I'm sure. However, "good knowledge" is not a phrase I would use.

"A knowledge" is used commonly in job adverts. For example "A knowledge of Microsoft Word is required".

It's used as part of a longer phase, isn't it?

It's used as part of a longer phrase, isn't it?
Of course it would always be used as part of a longer phrase/sentence. "A knowledge" is not a complete sentence.

Of course it would always be used as part of a longer phrase/sentence. "A knowledge" is not a complete sentence.
So in British English "a knowledge" and "some knowledge" are both used, but not "the knowledge." Right?

So in British English "a knowledge" and "some knowledge" are both used, but not "the knowledge." Right?
I can't say that "the knowledge" is never used in a sentence in English, although I can't come up with a very natural example right now. The other two are used, and you've been given examples already.

Note, though, that people who want to become taxi drivers in London must study and pass "The Knowledge". They must know how to get from any point in London to any other point without the use of sat-nav. It's so difficult that only a small percentage of those who try actually pass it.

I can't say that "the knowledge" is never used in a sentence in English, although I can't come up with a very natural example right now. The other two are used, and you've been given examples already.

Note, though, that people who want to become taxi drivers in London must study and pass "The Knowledge". They must know how to get from any point in London to any other point without the use of sat-nav. It's so difficult that only a small percentage of those who try actually pass it.
But is the meaning of 'some knowledge of English," 'a knowledge of English' and "knowledge of English" without the article the same in my sentence if I use either and in other situations?

Why is it wrong to say "during our trips?"

So, *English knowledge* can help us during our trips when we travel [internationally].

Last edited:
Try:

Knowing English can help us in our travels.

Did somebody tell you that's wrong?
I changed "during our trips" to "when we travel internationally". I did that because a trip can be within your own country. It might be to a town just a few miles away. It doesn't involve a change of language. If the OP goes on a trip from Tbilisi to Batumi, they're not going to find English useful.

Did somebody tell you that's wrong?
Perhaps I misunderstand. It was crossed out in
I changed "during our trips" to "when we travel internationally". I did that because a trip can be within your own country. It might be to a town just a few miles away. It doesn't involve a change of language. If the OP goes on a trip from Tbilisi to Batumi, they're not going to find English useful.
Thank you so much! Could you please answer my question in #13? There must be a nuance. :/ I am afraid I didn't understand your explanation.

You could say:

A working knowledge of English could be helpful to us on our travels abroad.

That would depend on where you're going, of course.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back