Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
I spoke with one lady who had spent 5 years living in Spain, but now she does not live there any more.

And I asked automatically " For how long have you lived IN Spain", but later I became precarious about grammatically correctness of my question, because I have been taught that preposition IN usually we use if the person still lives somewhere - in this case, in Spain.
For example: "For how long have you lived in London" - refers that person still lives in London.
On the contrary "I have been TO London many times" means that somebody has visited London but he/she does not live there any more.

In my case with Spain, did I ask this question correctly? Because she responded to me that she lived there (for) 5 years, and now she lives here. Should I have used past perfect in this case, like "For how long had you lived in Spain"(unsaid- before you left) ? Just saying "How long have you lived TO Spain" sounded odd to me. Likewise, using simple past in this case also doesn`t hold the water to me, because she has lived in Spain in some point of her life, and we don`t know when or some specific details about her stay in Spain, but we know that it lasted for the longer period of time.

Sorry if I created mambo-jumbo here, I keep my fingers crossed that you will manage to decipher my point.:)

Thanks in advance!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"in" or "to" has nothing to do with it. The difference is in the tense. You should have asked "How long did you live in Spain for?" that is: "did live" (lived), not "have lived".
"I have lived in Spain for four years" - I'm still living there. The present perfect is a present tense.
"I have been living in Spain for four years" is also correct, if you're still living there. This is present perfect continuous.
"I lived in Spain for four years." - I'm no longer living there. The simple past is a past tense.

The past perfect, "I had lived in Spain for four years" is not relevant here. You'd need more context to use that.
This is also true for the past perfect continuous, "I had been living in Spain for four years." You can say ""I had been living in Spain for four years when my visa ran out." But that's more advanced than the question you asked.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If it's part of a dialogue, you could shorten it even further.

Mary: I used to live in Spain?
John: How long for?

Status
Not open for further replies.