Form may be of slighter consequence than substance....

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Happy Holidays.

The following paragraph is from The Elements of Teaching by James M. Banner and Harold Cannon:

Standards range from minor ones (such as the appropriate form for written assignments) to major ones (such as how much a student must know about the reproductive systems of various kinds of animals in order to meet the requirements of a biology course.) No matter what their level of importance, expecting strict adherence to all standards --- the reasons for all of which should be openly explained --- is a mark of all good teaching. Form may be of slighter consequence than substance, but to yield in small matters makes it harder to maintain standards when they really count.

I have difficulties understanding the bold sentence. I rephrase it as:

Form may be matters less than substance, but to yield in small matters makes it harder to maintain standards when they really count.

My questions:

a) I wonder if "when they really count" means "when standards really matter" here.
b) I also want to know the connection between the first and the second sentence. Does "form" mean "small matters" here while "substance" refers to "standards"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Of slighter substance - less important

Form - the way things are presented
Substance - what you know

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks a lot, Tarheel.

Could you please help me with my questions. I already know what "of slighter substance" means but I still don't know the answers to my questions.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you give in on small things it's harder to hold your ground on big things (when it really matters).