Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
When talking about fruit generally can I use either "fruit" or "fruits" and when talking about the entire class of fruits should I use the definite or the indefinite article? I think in my sentence there is the restrictive clause "that are good for " but is "which" also used in the restrictive clause too?

I like to eat fruit (s). My favourite fruit is a/the pineapple. I eat fresh fruit(s) every day. In my opinion, the most delicious fruit is a/the passionfruit. My favourite vegetable is a/the tomato. I buy fruit (s) and vegetables every day. An/the apple contains iron and a lot of vitamins, that/which are good for health. My favourite fruit is a/the dragonfruit.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I like to eat fruit (s).
1. Fruit.
"Fruits" isn't ungrammatical but not as natural.

My favourite fruit is a/the pineapple.
2. Pineapples are my favourite fruit. I suppose you could say "My favourite fruit is the pineapple" but that doesn't sound as natural. Not "a" however.

I eat fresh fruit(s) every day.
3. The same as 1.

In my opinion, the most delicious fruit is a/the passionfruit.
4. The.

My favourite vegetable is a/the tomato.
5. Tomatoes are my favourite vegetable. Also see comment 2 above.

I buy fruit (s) and vegetables every day.
6. Both fruit and fruits work. I'd choose the plural to go with vegetables.

An/the apple contains iron and a lot of vitamins, that/which are good for health.
7. Apples contain iron and vitamins, which are good for health/good for you/good for your health. I wouldn't use "that" here.

My favourite fruit is a/the dragonfruit.
8. See comments 2 and 5.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
1. Fruit.
"Fruits" isn't ungrammatical but not as natural.

2. Pineapples are my favourite fruit. I suppose you could say "My favourite fruit is the pineapple" but that doesn't sound as natural. Not "a" however.

3. The same as 1.

4. The.

5. Tomatoes are my favourite vegetable. Also see comment 2 above.

6. Both fruit and fruits work. I'd choose the plural to go with vegetables.

7. Apples contain iron and vitamins, which are good for health/good for you/good for your health. I wouldn't use "that" here.

8. See comments 2 and 5.
I thought it's correct to use "a" when we generalise. I was judging by this explanation from English Grammar in Context by Michael Vince: "Generalisations with a, an, the.

"We can make generalisations by using a singular noun as an example, with a/an before the noun to mean "any". A cat makes a good pet. =Cats make good pets. A car costs a lot to maintain=Cars cost a lot to maintain. In a scientific context or talking about technology and inventions we often use "the" with singular nouns to make generalisations. The knee is one of the most complex joints in the body. The telephone was invented by Alexander Graham Bell."

But why can't I generalize when talking food, fruits, vegetables, etc?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
But why can't I generalize when talking food, fruits, vegetables, etc?

If you say "My favourite fruit is a pineapple", it sounds a little as if there's a specific pineapple that's your favourite fruit.

However, if you say "My favourite snack is a cheese sandwich", it doesn't sound that way. It's clear that cheese sandwiches are your favourite snack. I don't really know why.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
If you say "My favourite fruit is a pineapple", it sounds a little as if there's a specific pineapple that's your favourite fruit.

However, if you say "My favourite snack is a cheese sandwich", it doesn't sound that way. It's clear that cheese sandwiches are your favourite snack. I don't really know why.
But I can generalize about animals using the definite article too, can't I?
1. "A cat makes a good pet". =Cats make good pets.
2. "Cats make good pets."
3. "The cat makes a good pet. Or is another use not a generalisation but the mention of the entire class of an animal?

If #3 is correct can I generalize about objects too using the definite article?

1. "A car costs a lot to maintain"
2. "Cars cost a lot to maintain."
3. "The car costs a lot to maintain."

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
All three of your cat sentences are fine but the third, using "the", sounds quite formal -- the sort of thing you'd see in writing. Sentence 2 sounds the most natural. "Cats make good pets."

In your car sentences, 1 and 2 are fine.

The third would only be used to refer to a specific car.

I have a lot of expenses. My rent takes up a third of my salary. My brother keeps sponging off me. The car
(the one I have) costs a lot to maintain.

As you can see, there really are no set rules for this. It depends on what you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.