Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
How to describe a person who can always bring laughing and joys to people, can make people smile their tears away, and can make people happy when they are sad? Take the following paragraph for example. Is it grammatically correct and natural? Please help me correct it. Thanks!

I’m an outgoing girl, who likes to make friends. In most situations, I am fun-loving and easygoing. Sometimes I would act a little bit silly with a little bit clever to please everybody, so I’m everybody’s clown who always brings laughing and joys to the peers.

shur2gal

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Take out the comma after girl. Usually, a comma is only added when you pause during the sentence, and it usually is followed up by a transition (although not always). The sentence, "I'm an outgoing girl who likes to make friends," is a sentence that can stand by itself, without a comma. Sometimes needs a comma after it because it a transition (think of transitions like First, or, For Example,). Take out would too. (Sometimes, I act...). Would is past tense and you are describing yourself in the present. That sentence afterwards is weird too.... Mainly because I can't translate what you mean by "with a little bit of clever."

Take out the comma after everybody and forgo the word "so" and make a new sentence with "I'm everybody's clown, who always brings laugh and joys to people everywhere."

It's okay, but it needs lots of work. Try re-reading and re-wording. Good luck!

Ashiuhto

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I reworded the paragraph as written.

I’m an outgoing girl who likes to make friends. In most situations, I am fun-loving and easygoing. Sometimes, I act a little bit clownish to amuse people. I’m the life and soul of the party, who always brings laughs and joys to the people everywhere.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I reworded the paragraph as written.

I’m an outgoing girl who likes to make friends. In most situations, I am fun-loving and easygoing. Sometimes, I act a little bit clownish to amuse people. I’m the life and soul of the party, who always brings laughs and joys to the people everywhere.
Omit the 's' and 'the'. Joy is uncountable in this context.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'd change 'laughs' to 'laughter'.

Rover

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I’m an outgoing girl, who likes to make friends. In most situations, I am fun-loving and easygoing. Sometimes I would act a little bit silly with a little bit clever to please everybody, so I’m everybody’s clown who always brings laughing and joys to the peers.
Take out the comma after girl. Usually, a comma is only added when you pause during the sentence, and it usually is followed up by a transition (although not always). The sentence, "I'm an outgoing girl who likes to make friends," is a sentence that can stand by itself, without a comma.
The comma is possible. Commas are used in non-defining clauses but not in defining clause. Thus we can have:

1. I’m an outgoing girl, who likes to make friends.
I’m an outgoing girl who likes to make friends.

#1 has the idea of "I am am a friendly, sociable person (and I like to make friends)".
#2 has the idea of "I am a friendly, sociable person who likes to make friends (as opposed to a friendly, sociable person who does not like to make friends)".

A purist might regard both of these as pleonastic, but neither type is uncommon in informal speech or writing.
Sometimes needs a comma
A comma is possible, but I don't think it's essential. 76 of the first 100 COCA citations for sentence-initial 'sometimes' are not followed by a comma.
Take out the comma after everybody and forgo the word "so" and make a new sentence with "I'm everybody's clown, who always brings ...
That's possible, but not essential. With the changes suggested by Raymott and Rover, the sentence seems fine to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.