Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
When answering the question "What’s your most memorable trip?" does "gain height", "on the one side" and other parts sound idiomatic? Should it be "that day" or "on that day?"

There were two completely opposite feelings. I had never been on a plane before. On the one side, there was a huge fear of a plane crash, but at the same time great rapture that I saw. It was indescribably beautiful from such a height. Sometimes they look like the sea, where instead of water there is cotton wool. Sometimes their form is a perfectly straight streak and it seems that you are flying over a wide white river. We were flying out from my hometown and on that day the weather was cloudy and gloomy, but when we rose up above the clouds they stopped to seem gloomy. Clouds looked like a white sea above which the sun shone. When failures happen in my life, I often remember that day, and no matter how gloomy it is,
the sun is always shining somewhere above and you just need to try to gain height.

"Gain height" is used in both figurative and usual meaning.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't have time to do the whole thing at the moment but my first suggestion would be to swap the first two sentences over. Open with the fact you were on a plane, then mention the two opposing feelings, then say what they were.

I noticed several repetitions of "gloomy" in the second half. Find some synonyms.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I don't have time to do the whole thing at the moment but my first suggestion would be to swap the first two sentences over. Open with the fact you were on a plane, then mention the two opposing feelings, then say what they were.

I noticed several repetitions of "gloomy" in the second half. Find some synonyms.

So it should be: "I had never been on a plane before. There were two completely opposite feelings. On the one side, there was a huge fear of a plane crash, but at the same time great rapture that I saw." But I am not sure it all sounds idiomatic as well as the rest of the piece. :/

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I had never been on a plane before. There were I was experiencing two completely opposite feelings emotions. On the one side hand, there was a huge fear I was terrified of a the plane crashing, but at the same time on the other hand, there was the great rapture that I saw felt at the view [from the aircraft].
See above. "Rapture" is a feeling. It's not something you see.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
See above. "Rapture" is a feeling. It's not something you see.
Can I use "that day" too instead of "on that day" and "they stopped seeming gloomy"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I had never been on a plane before.

I would start with that. Then say you say you had feelings (emotions) that were the opposite of each other.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I had never been on a plane before.

I would start with that. Then say you say you had feelings (emotions) that were the opposite of each other.
I covered both those points in post #2 and the OP did exactly that in post #3.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
OK.

I apologize for my poor memory.