"Generating 526.6 billion kWh and consuming 582.5 billion kWh of electricity in 2014, Germany had the second lowest figures after Korea..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
"Generating 526.6 billion kWh and consuming 582.5 billion kWh of electricity in 2014, Germany had the second lowest figures after Korea. Rep., which consumed 449.5 billion kWh."

"China was the country with the highest electricity production and use in 2014, with it using 5,322 billion kWh and producing 5,398 billion kWh of electricity."
Source: me

Is it grammatical to use two verbs in participle clauses?
I did that in the two sentences above, but I am not sure whether that is allowed, that is I don't know whether I broke a grammar rule by doing that.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"Generating 526.6 billion kWh and consuming 582.5 billion kWh of electricity in 2014, Germany had the second lowest figures after Korea. Rep., which consumed 449.5 billion kWh."

Good, but Korea. Rep isn't right. Is that how it was written in the chart?

"China was the country with the highest electricity production and use in 2014, with it using 5,322 billion kWh and producing 5,398 billion kWh of electricity."

Good.

Is it grammatical to use two verbs in participle clauses?
I did that in the two sentences above, but I am not sure whether that is allowed, that is I don't know whether I broke a grammar rule by doing that.

Yes, it's fine.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
Source: IELTS cambridge textbook

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220815-204719_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220815-204719_Chrome.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 4

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It appears they've chosen to use the abbreviated version of the official name (The Republic of Korea) to refer to what most of us, in the west at least, refer to as North Korea.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In the chart, the country is written as Korea, Rep., with a comma, not a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.