Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
To decide not to do something- (Sarcasm) Well, as much I'd love to jump out of a perfectly good aeroplane, I think I'll give it a miss!

Do Americans use this phrase? Every dictionary I've looked up says that it's a british informal phrase.

It is sometimes used in Canada. We also describe uncertain things as "hit or miss".

In AmE we are more likely to say: "Well, as much I'd love to jump out of a perfectly good an airplane, I think I'll give it a miss pass!"

In AmE we are more likely to say: "Well, as much I'd love to jump out of a perfectly good an airplane, I think I'll give it a miss pass!"
I though the phrase was 'I think I'll pass.' To be honest I've never heard 'I'll give it a pass' in any movies, shows or even online.

To decide not to do something- (Sarcasm) Well, as much I'd love to jump out of a perfectly good aeroplane, I think I'll give it a miss!

Do Americans use this phrase? Every dictionary I've looked up says that it's a british informal phrase.
I live in Boston -- arguably the most British of all US cities -- and the older generation here used "give it a miss" all the time. I never considered it exclusively British.
If I use it now in a jocular way, no one seems confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back