Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Are you going to tell him that he can't convert "slept at nine o'clock" to "slept late"?

I would, yes. I'd also encourage him not to use slept in this context at all, in favour of went to sleep or went to bed. Misuse of the past simple form of sleep is a very common learner error, across a wide range of first language backgrounds.

If so, how will you answer him when he explains to you that it is possible for "late" in "slept late" to refer to the time at which the sleeping commenced?

I'd explain that it doesn't matter what he thinks is possible, and that I'm just trying to help him speak better English. :-D

kumar17

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
As I suspected, the originator of the incorrect "sleep late" caption is clearly not fluent in English. This card from the same site proves it.

Not a teacher. This post is not an answer.

I know I am deviating from the OP's question. But, could you please tell me what is wrong with this sentence(your link)?

(I will start a new thread if moderators feel this question is unrelated to the discussion in this thread.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you think election season might have sent them therapy bills? Is that what you're asking about?

kumar17

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Do you think election season might have sent them therapy bills? Is that what you're asking about?

Not a teacher. This post is not an answer.

I think they mean, sarcastically, because of all the talks and speeches made by politicians during election season caused them mental illness(or stress) and for that they availed therapy. Since, the money spent for therapy was because of politicians they ask for reimbursement.

It is a meme. So, it was meant to be a some sort of joke.

My doubt was the other respectful member mentioned that this sentence proves that the meme creator is not fluent. I am just willing to learn what is wrong with that sentence.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you missed the point of my question. Election season can't send you therapy bills. Perhaps:

Election season has been stressful. Maybe the government should pay our therapy bills.

Not very funny, but the original isn't funny either.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Consider the following example from COCA:

"They slept at nine o'clock every evening, and tonight was no different for them."

Do you think it is impossible to say that, or that the writer must be nonnative?
It looks like something from a hundred years ago, if it was written by a native speaker.

In order to avoid misleading learners with the idea that "slept late" can mean "went to bed late", I'll close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.