Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
The most easiest way of explaining this would be if there's someone from ex YU that can verify that "God bless him" is correct translation of the term in the title. Online translators do translate this expression as "God bless him", but when I search for the meaning of that term, It's just not what I'm trying to say.

So, let me try to explain, but I'm not sure if I'll succeed... I'm talking about someone who did accomplished something in his life, but he's taking the credit (by masses opinions) for something he did not do. So, I want to say something like:

"Yes, he done great things in his life, I accept his greatness, I do admire for everything he done, he is THE man, but he did not (...)".

Is that also the meaning of:

"God bless him, but he did not (...)"

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, it doesn't have that meaning in English.

lupicatulum

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
So, how would you say that?

I could say: "God knows he is a great man, but he did not (...)", but I don't think that covers everything I'm trying to say. Do you have any expression that sounds like I wrote above?

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
"Svaka mu cast" is "I take my hat off to him" in English. Or "Well done!"

I think you could finish your sentence like this, "....he is a great man, but he did not deserve it. "

I am not a teacher, and I am only trying to help.

lupicatulum

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
"Svaka mu cast" is "I take my hat off to him" in English. Or "Well done!"

Hey Bassime, what's up. :) I'm googleing "I take my hat off to him" and yes, that might be correct translation. As you know, we have the same expression (I didn't know I can litaraly translate it to "I take my hat off", but it seems we both have the same expression), yet, we use that expression when we personaly take the stand toward someone (it's our personal opinion about someone) and "Svaka mu čast" has the same meaning, but it's a general (well known) oppinion about someone.

I think you could finish your sentence like this, "....he is a great man, but he did not deserve it. "

No, no, no... I'm not looking for the end of the sentence. :) The end will be different, but nevermind; the first part is tricky...

So, how would I say "I take my hat off to him, but he did not (...)" in the meaning that it's not just me who's taking the hat off to him, but people in general do?

I am not a teacher, and I am only trying to help.

I know, I'ts a big help the fact that you used to live here and understand what I'm trying to say. Thanks. :up:

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
lupicatulum,

Do not use "Google" if you want to find a precise translation. You will usually get strange sentences which do not make much sense in English. It is better to use a good dictionary like Zeljko Bujas: Veliki Hrvatsko-Engleski Rjecnik.

Try to post your complete sentence in Croatian and we probably can make it in English with the help of teachers on this forum.

Not a teacher

Last edited:

lupicatulum

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
"Svaka mu čast, ali on nije izmislio XY"

If I use "I take my hat off to him":

"Skidam mu kapu, ali on nije izmislio XY"

that would mean that I personaly honor him, and that's not what I'm trying to say.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
lupicatulum,
We need a teacher to verify the correctness of your sentence in English:

I take my hat off to him, but he did not invent XY.

Not a teacher.

lupicatulum

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
Literal translation of "svaka mu čast" would be "all honors to him", or somehing like that...it's very hard to translate...

We use the same expression i.e. when you're walking down the street and you see a street performer. And his perfomance is beutifull, perfect, yet very, very hard to acomplish, needs decades of training... While you're admiring to him, what do you say to your friend while you both watching him? We say (in litaral translation) "All honors to him".

But then you find out that he is a criminal, and then you want to say:

"All honors to him, but he is a criminal!".

Maybe with this example is more understandable what I'm trying to say?

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I think you could write:

He is doing well, but he is a criminal.

When British want to praise someone they say, "Well done!" But I do not think this phrase could be used in your sentence.

lupicatulum

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
Yes, but... You think it'll work when talking about someone from history?

"He done well, but he did not invent XY"?

Mmmm....don't think so...

Teachers?

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
lupicatulum,

You have to ask a clear question, otherwise nobody is going to understand what you want to say. If you post a single sentence without a context, it is difficult to give you a proper reply. You can post your text in "Editing and Writing." If it is not too long, someone is surely going to look at it and correct your mistakes.

I am not a teacher.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, but... You think it'll work when talking about someone from history?

"He done well, but he did not invent XY"?

Mmmm....don't think so...

Teachers?

It would be "He did well, ...". There is a slightly odd football commentators' phrase - "The boy done well" - meaning "That player did well" but the verb form is incorrect.

How about "He achieved a lot but he did not invent XYZ" or something similar?

lupicatulum

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
Bassim, but the whole point is that I don't know how to formulate the sentence. :) I can formulate 10 sentences, all correct and all with its meaning, but I don't know which one is the one I need.

Ok, one more try. Don't laugh! :)

"Albert Einstein was the smartest man in the world.
Albert Einstein devaloped the general theory of relativity.
Albert Einstein made formula E=mc2
Albert Einstein was God to physics.

All honor to him / he done well / world takes the hat off to him, but he did not invent ANYTHING!"

Which one of the blue expressions (if any) to use? I listen a lot (american) English and I never heard any of the given to sound right.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You definitely can't say "he [STRIKE]done[/STRIKE] well." The simple past of do is "did".

I have a little trouble contributing to this discussion because in my region of the USA, "God bless him" is often heard in the context you describe. I guess The world takes its hat off to him​ would be the best fit in your scenario.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Bassim, but the whole point is that I don't know how to forumulate the sentence. :) I can forumalte 10 sentences, all correct and all with its meaning, but I don't know which one is the one I need.

Ok, one more try. Don't laugh! :)

"Albert Einstein was the smartest man in the world.
Albert Einstein developed the general theory of relativity.
Albert Einstein [STRIKE]made[/STRIKE] came up with the formula E=mc2.
Albert Einstein was a god [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] in the field of physics. With my corrections, it's grammatically correct but it's not true.

All honor to him / He [STRIKE]done[/STRIKE] did well / The world takes [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] its hat off to him, but he did not invent ANYTHING!"

Which one of the blue expressions (if any) [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] should I use? I listen to a lot of (American) English and I have never heard any of them. [STRIKE]given to sound right.[/STRIKE]

They would all be understood, and there are plenty of other possibilities. Admittedly, I still have no idea which one fits as a decent translation of your original.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
See post #17. There is no "special expression" meaning "He achieved a lot".

lupicatulum

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
Our posts started to overlap, so I took a break. Thank you all for your help; let me now answer and comment your suggestions.

Emsr and GS, about "he done well"... I'm pretty sure "the boy done well" and other examples of "he done well" I heard many times in movies. However, it's good to know that the verb form is (officially?) incorrect.

Emsr, I just added my signature, where I state that you (all) feel free to correct all sentences I write (regardless to the topic), so thank you for corrections, it's good way to learn from your own mistakes. (BTW, you (English) write "god" with small "g"?!? :shock: They would put you in the pillory in my country for that. :) )

Regarding the "svaka mu čast" expression, I can conclude that there is no such expression in English, but maybe "The world takes its hat off to him" would be the best fit.

Thank you all! :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.