Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I encountered the expression "God forbid they should see your pipi", but am struggling to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

Rachel: “She didn’t take her eyes off you.”

The Protagonist: “Her eyes off me?”

Rachel: “You’re the most exasperating person I know. Olaf, you explain it to him. Sometimes I think you purposely avoid seeing things. As if you’re scared you’d have to get undressed with the people you really care for and God forbid they should see your pipi.”

- André Aciman, Eight White Nights, Eight Night

This is a novel published in the United States of America in 2010. This novel is narrated by the nameless male protagonist. The protagonist meets Clara at a Christmas party in Manhattan. Now, the protagonist is talking with his friends Rachel and Olaf after Clara has left. When Rachel says that Clara didn't take her eyes off the protagonist, the protagonist does not believe her.

In this part, I wonder what the underlined expression means.

I vaguely guess that "pipi" can be a slang of something, but I have no idea what this underlined part means. o_O

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@5jj,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
Oh, I didn't know that "pipi" is a childish expression for "penis"! I learned a new thing all thanks to you.

So, by "God forbid they should see your pipi," the speaker is saying "You think it is absurd when you are in a situation where people you really care get to see your penis, because you are scared of getting undressed."

I sincerely appreciate your help. :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You are scared to get undressed in front of people you really care for in case they should see your penis.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Those are a couple of weird people. 😊

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
As if you’re scared you’d have to get undressed with the people you really care for and God forbid they should see your pipi.”
I'd say this wasn't meant to be taken too literally. Rachel possibly means, "You avoid noticing things like this because you're scared you'll become emotionally involved with someone and you're afraid they'll see your vulnerabilities/weaknesses/real self".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.