Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
I have come across these two phrases "God willing and God's willing" and it has a religious connotation especially in Arabic language , I don't know which one is grammatical

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
God willing OR "God willing"

a religious connotation in Arabic.

It's a way of expressing hope. (See below.)

I'll be here next year, God willing.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
God willing OR "God willing"

a religious connotation in Arabic.

It's a way of expressing hope. (See below.)

I'll be here next year, God willing.

Thank you.

I disagree that it means hope, rather it expresses the fact that you will or are going to do something if God prolongs you life and allow you to do it.

The irony is that many say the expression God willing (إن شاء الله) to give a promise that they might not fulfill.

A. Will you come over next week?

B. Yeah. God willing.

It is either mean you will visit your friend or you just use the phrase to dismiss and ignore the person or the idea.

I know what the phrase means, but which one is correct God willing or God's willing?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I disagree that it means hope, rather it expresses the fact that you will or are going to do something if God prolongs your life and allows you to do it.

The irony is that many say the expression "God willing (إن شاء الله)" to give make a promise that they might not fulfil.

A. Will you come over next week?
B. Yeah. God willing.

It is either means either [that] you will visit your friend or you just use the phrase to that you will dismiss and ignore the person or the idea.

I know what the phrase means, but which one is correct - "God willing" or "God's willing"?
Note my corrections above. It's more natural to talk about "keeping a promise", rather than "fulfilling" one.