Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,I am Emma,who will have an interview next week. I would like to be sounded good at speaking English,but my oral English is typically Chinese. That would be emergency so I am here to ask for your help. I am looking forword to your reply.Thank you.

Edit by moderator

For reference, this thread stemmed from one by cn-emma's husband, which consisted of the following:

My wife is going to take part in an interview. In the interview, she has to make a self introduction in English. The interviewers are femal teachers (not sure whether they are professors or not). So in the begining, how can I address them? E.g Good morning, dear teachers? or just "Hello everyone?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Re: How to address the interviewer?

Good morning is fine. Good morning, dear teachers is not natural. Stick to what you know. You don't get extra marks for praise- if you tell a Professor how great you think Oxford University is, they probably already know. They want to know why you should be there. If you show an affinity for your profession and are able to speak about it, which will be the most natural part of your speech, you will be doing the best thing IMO.

Colee

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Macedonian
Home Country
Macedonia
Current Location
Macedonia

Not a teacher.

What comes more natural to her. Good morning is the best way but if dear teachers is better for her than she should go with it. Or maybe esteemed teachers.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Colee, please read this extract from the forum's Posting Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post. Please note, all posts are moderated by our in-house language experts, so make sure your suggestions, help, and advice provide the kind of information an international language teacher would offer. If not, and your posts do not contribute to the topic in a positive way, they will be subject to deletion.

Once you've made ten posts, you'll be able to add "Not a teacher" to your signature line.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Good morning is the best way [STRIKE]but if dear teachers is better for her than she should go with it. Or maybe esteemed teachers[/STRIKE].
Don't use either of the options I've struck out above. Native speakers would never use such language.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Not a teacher.

In my opinion, she should say what comes more naturally to her. "Good morning" is the best way but if "dear teachers" is better for her, [STRIKE]than[/STRIKE] then she should go with it. [STRIKE]Or[/STRIKE] Maybe she could use "esteemed teachers".

Colee, you are welcome to try to answer other learners' questions but you must state that you are not a teacher. GoesStation has added it for you, and I have made multiple corrections above. Please ensure that you always write in complete sentences and remember to use quotation marks where appropriate.

I disagree with your advice. "Good morning, dear teachers" and "Good morning, esteemed teachers" would be very unnatural greetings.

(Cross-posted with GoesStation)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

cn-emma, please write a post here showing us what you plan to say. We will then look at it and make any corrections that are required.

cn-emma

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

cn-emma, please write a post here showing us what you plan to say. We will then look at it and make any corrections that are required.
Here's my self-introduction. I am not sure if it is suitble. I'll appreciate it if you help me to modify it.
Good morning. It is my pleasure to introduce myself. I am XXX, graduated from Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine five years ago,and now working in Zhongda Hospital.
During my college, I once was awarded the Third-class People's Scholarship and has passed CET-4 already. Besides, I also joined in some school community activities, like "first aid in home care ". Taking part in the out-of-the-classroom activities helped me to understand the importance of nursing and guided me to think about my long-term goal-being a nursing expert. I have a sister and a brother, all of us went to colleges, so my parents worked every hard to support us. In order to share their burden, I did some part-time jobs. All these experiences have made me a tough and aspirant person.
I think one of my greatest strengths is analytical thinking. During my rotation in nursing department, I found the work there is very out of order. So, I created a work-flow for reference which also helps the following colleagues there.
Zhongda Hospital has witnessed my growth. In the first year I did not good in nursing theory test but now I am able to get full marks. Once I knew nothing about QCC, but I kept learning. Finally in 2019, I won the first prize in PDCA competition held in Nanjing.
If I am lucky enough to study in this great university, I will make every effort to gain great achievement in the near future. That’s all about me. Thank you for giving me such a wonderful opportunity.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Good morning is the best way but if dear teachers is better for her than she should go with it. Or maybe esteemed teachers.

NOT A TEACHER

I personally like those cultures in which people use very respectful language such as "Esteemed Teachers."

But here in the United States in the year 2020, such a phrase would immediately inform your listeners that you are not a native speaker of American English, so it would be a good idea, I feel, if you avoided it. Being obsequious (overly respectful) is not considered a positive trait in American culture.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Here's my self-introduction. I am not sure if it is suitable. [STRIKE]I'll[/STRIKE] I'd appreciate it if you would help me to modify it.

Good morning.

It is my pleasure to introduce myself. I am XXX,
and I graduated from Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine five years ago, space here and I am now working in Zhongda Hospital.
During [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] college, I [STRIKE]once[/STRIKE] was awarded the Third-class People's Scholarship and [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] I have passed CET-4 already.

[STRIKE]Besides,[/STRIKE] I also [STRIKE]joined[/STRIKE]
took part in [STRIKE]some[/STRIKE] school community activities, [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] such as "First Aid in Home Care".

Taking part in the [STRIKE]out-of-the-classroom[/STRIKE]
extracurricular activities helped me to understand the importance of nursing and [STRIKE]guided me[/STRIKE] to think about my long-term goal no hyphen here of being a nursing expert.

I have a sister and a brother
; all of us went to [STRIKE]colleges[/STRIKE] college, [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] and my parents worked [STRIKE]every[/STRIKE] very hard to support us. In order to share their burden, I did some part-time jobs. All these experiences have made me a tough and [STRIKE]aspirant[/STRIKE] ambitious person.

I think one of my greatest strengths is analytical thinking. During my rotation in the nursing department, I [STRIKE]found[/STRIKE] identified [STRIKE]the work there is very out of order[/STRIKE] some areas that needed to be improved, so no comma here I created a work-flow for reference which also helps the following colleagues there. I don't understand the underlined part at all.

Zhongda Hospital has witnessed my growth.

[STRIKE]In the first year I did not good in nursing theory test but now[/STRIKE]
Don't mention negative results like this.

I [STRIKE]am able to get[/STRIKE]
recently achieved full marks on the nursing theory test. [STRIKE]Once[/STRIKE] When I started at Zhongda Hospital, I knew nothing about QCC, but I kept learning. [STRIKE]Finally[/STRIKE] In 2019, I won the first prize in the PDCA competition held in Nanjing.

If I am lucky enough to study in this great university, I will make every effort to [STRIKE]gain great achievement[/STRIKE] achieve great things in the [STRIKE]near[/STRIKE] future.

[STRIKE]That’s all about me.[/STRIKE]

Thank you for giving me such a wonderful opportunity.

Above are some suggestions. You might need someone who understands the nursing and testing terminology to fix some of those parts. I like the fact that you mentioned your parents' involvement in your education but remember that mostly the interviewers need to hear about why you believe you qualify for a place at their university.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

What comes more natural to her.

In an interview, you are pitching yourself to someone who can give you access to what you want. Going in calling them esteemed teachers is not really the best way to persuade them that you have the high-level language and cultural skills required to take a degree in a second language. You don't have to be grammatically perfect, but smoothing some rough edges down may possibly help.

cn-emma

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

I created a work-flow for reference which also helps the following colleagues there.
Interpretation-Every year
there are some outstanding nurses on work having the opportunity to rotate to the nursing department for further development, which means some people move from clinical department to administration department temporarily. And I was one of these people. When I was in the nursing department, I signed my detailed work program on a notebook , which no one ever do it before. That has helped the following people know their work very well otherwise just a mess. Besides, should I replace the word "importance" to"significance or meaning" in the sentence"Taking part in [STRIKE]the out-of-the-classroom[/STRIKE] extracurricular activities helped me to understand the importance of nursing and [STRIKE]guided me[/STRIKE] to think about my long-term goal no hyphen here of being a nursing expert. "for better. Looking forword to your reply. You have made me open my eyes and thank you very much.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I created a work-flow for reference which also helps the following colleagues there.

[STRIKE]Interpretation[/STRIKE]
Explanation space here - space here Every year there are some outstanding nurses [STRIKE]on work[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]having[/STRIKE] who have the opportunity to rotate to the nursing department for further development, which means some people move from the clinical department to the administration department temporarily. [STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] I was one of these people. When I was in the nursing department, I signed my detailed work program [strike]on[/strike] in a notebook, which no one ever [STRIKE]do it[/STRIKE] did before. That has helped [STRIKE]the following[/STRIKE] people working there later know their work very well. Otherwise, it's just a mess.

[STRIKE]Besides[/STRIKE]
Also, should I replace the word "importance" [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] with "significance" or "meaning" in the sentence "Taking part in [STRIKE]the out-of-the-classroom[/STRIKE] extracurricular activities helped me to understand the importance of nursing and [STRIKE]guided me[/STRIKE] to think about my long-term goal no hyphen here of being a nursing expert"? [STRIKE]"for better.[/STRIKE]

I am looking [STRIKE]forword[/STRIKE] forward to your reply. You have [STRIKE]made me[/STRIKE] opened my eyes. [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] Thank you very much.

Note my corrections above. Your explanation is helpful but I have two queries:

1. What do you mean by "my detailed work program"?
2. What do you mean by "know their work very well"?

You could change "importance" to "significance". I wouldn't use "meaning" there.

cn-emma

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Note my corrections above. Your explanation is helpful but I have two queries:

1. What do you mean by "my detailed work program"?
2. What do you mean by "know their work very well"?

You could change "importance" to "significance". I wouldn't use "meaning" there.
I will explain the two queries at a time. "my detailed work program" is like a workflow I have writen in the notebook, which tell people working there later how to work step by step. The work in the nursing department is very trivial and there are no rules to follow by. If it weren't for it,the only way to know their content of the specific work is by asking an aged nurse who works there long time or the previous people worked there.But frequent questions may bore them. So, I said "That has helped people working there later know their work very well".
I hope it is helpful for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.