Has America conducted elections this year?

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If the verb is constructed with part of BE (or GET) [has ... been] with the past participle (third form) of the main verb [elected]it is passive.

That is meaningless.
I think you didn't get what I'm trying to ask.
I want to ask how would I come to know that in sentence 2 written above I've to use "been"?
You are telling me how to identify an already written sentence whether it's in active or passive. That I can do very well.

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If the verb is constructed with part of BE (or GET) [has ... been] with the past participle (third form) of the main verb [elected]it is passive.

That is meaningless.
Before writing a sentence how would I come to know that I'm going to write a passive sentence so that I could use "been"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You need to think about who the person doing the verb is. In an election, the mayor doesn't do any electing! The people elect the mayor. It's something that happens to the mayor. He is, to use an appropriate phrase, a passive participant. When you write your sentence, consider who is doing the acting and who is the recipient of the action. If the person you mention (in your example, the mayor) is the recipient of someone else's action, it's passive and needs "been".

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
Before writing a sentence how would I come to know that I'm going to write a passive sentence so that I could use "been"?
Stop focusing on the word been,. Think about what you want to say, and try to decide what verbs and tenses you need.

If you need a present or past perfect form of BE, either as a main verb (as in 1-3 below) or as an auxiliary verb as part of a present or past perfect passive construction (4-5). you will need both part of HAVE and been.

1, Have you ever been to Prague?
2. She's been very low since her dog died.
3. I got there as quickly as I could, but he'd already left by the time I arrived

4. My cat's been run over!
5. He went back to see the orphanage where he'd been abused as a child.

Maryfschu

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Colombia
"American" is the nationality of those who are native or naturalized U.S. citisens. When referring to the elections in the United States, one cannot use the term "America." These days, many people are sensitive about the use of the term. America is a continent with 1.0 billion people across 57 countries.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You're asking about meaning.

a) The people elected a new mayor.
b) A new mayor elected the people.

These two sentences are both grammatical, but given the meaning of the verb 'elect', only one makes sense. Which one is it? Why?

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You're asking about meaning.

a) The people elected a new mayor.
b) A new mayor elected the people.

These two sentences are both grammatical, but given the meaning of the verb 'elect', only one makes sense. Which one is it? Why?
Sentence a) makes sense because mayor is elected by the people, it's not the mayor who elects people.

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You need to think about who the person doing the verb is. In an election, the mayor doesn't do any electing! The people elect the mayor. It's something that happens to the mayor. He is, to use an appropriate phrase, a passive participant. When you write your sentence, consider who is doing the acting and who is the recipient of the action. If the person you mention (in your example, the mayor) is the recipient of someone else's action, it's passive and needs "been".
1. Has the mayor been elected yet?

In this sentence is the mayor an 'object'?
What is subject in this sentence?

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. Has the mayor been elected yet?

In this sentence is the mayor an 'object'?
What is subject in this sentence?
The mayor is the subject of the sentence.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sentence a) makes sense because mayor is elected by the people, it's not the mayor who elects people.

Yes, that's exactly right. You've understood the meaning of the verb 'elect'.

Now try this exercise. Which of the following two passive sentences makes sense?:

c) A new mayor has been elected by the people.
d) The people have been elected by a new mayor.

Now can you understand the difference between active and passive meaning?

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic

@Dharminder Singh, you need to be clear about the difference between agent and grammatical subject.

1) A new mayor has been elected by the people.
2) The people elected a new mayor.

In both these sentences, the agent, the 'do-er' of the action, is the people. However, the grammatical subject of the verb is a new mayor in (1) and the people in (2).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"American" is the nationality of those who are native or naturalized U.S. citisens. When referring to the elections in the United States, one cannot use the term "America." These days, many people are sensitive about the use of the term. America is a continent with 1.0 billion people across 57 countries.
That might well be geographically true, but (in the UK at least), if someone said "Have the elections been held in America yet?", the majority of people would take "America" to mean "the United States of America".

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The mayor is the subject of the sentence.
😵💫😵💫😵💫😵💫😵💫😵💫😵💫😵💫
Subject of a sentence is someone who performs an action. In post #24 @emsr2d2 mentioned that "mayor" isn't doing anything. How mayor can be subject then?
Please refer attached image.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-09-10-10-33-49-348-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-09-10-10-33-49-348-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 4
Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Yes, that's exactly right. You've understood the meaning of the verb 'elect'.

Now try this exercise. Which of the following two passive sentences makes sense?:

c) A new mayor has been elected by the people.
d) The people have been elected by a new mayor.

Now can you understand the difference between active and passive meaning?
Sentence c) makes sense.
I can make present perfect tenses using "have been" easily but passive sentenses using "have been" has always confused me. You cleared many concepts. I need to work lot more on it.
A passive sentence is one in which person mentioned in the sentence isn't doing any action, it is receiving the action instead.
In the sentence c) it's very easy to distinguish who is doing action because you've mentioned "people". But in the original sentence that I wrote, there were no people. The original sentence was
1. A new mayor has been elected.
In this sentence it's not clear who's doing the action. These type of sentences are confusing.

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
Subject of a sentence is someone who performs an action.
That is a gross oversimplification. In these sentences the underlined words are the subjects; they are not 'doing' anything.

I am happy.
Jean likes chocolate.
That book looks interesting.
John is being bullied at school.

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

@Dharminder Singh, you need to be clear about the difference between agent and grammatical subject.

1) A new mayor has been elected by the people.
2) The people elected a new mayor.

In both these sentences, the agent, the 'do-er' of the action, is the people. However, the grammatical subject of the verb is a new mayor in (1) and the people in (2).

Now that seems very confusing. ‍
How in sentence 1 mayor can be a subject? People should be the subject in sentence 1.
I'll read about it, then I'll reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
That might well be geographically true, but (in the UK at least), if someone said "Have the elections been held in America yet?", the majority of people would take "America" to mean "the United States of America".
People think same in India, i.e. America = United States. Next time I'll take care. Thanks for the correction.

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
That is a gross oversimplification. In these sentences the underlined words are the subjects; they are not 'doing' anything.

I am happy.
Jean likes chocolate.
Is it compulsory that every sentence should've a subject?

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

I am happy.
Jean likes chocolate.
How John can be a subject in this? John isn't doing any action. 😵

Last edited by a moderator: