Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
How can I describe the sound from a helicopter?

He could hear the....of a helicopter in the distance.

"whir/whirring" is the first thing that springs to mind.

I like chucka chucka chucka.
:-D

How can I describe the sound of a helicopter?

He could hear the....of a helicopter in the distance.

It's going to sound different when it's far off than when it's close. I might say whirr. (There are some interesting suggestions at that website.)

Post #1 says "in the distance". I wouldn't say they make a huge racket from that far away.

What would you say if the chopper was close?

I was having breakfast when I hear the....of a helicopter. A massive chopper was flying above my apartment.

Post #1 says "in the distance". I wouldn't say they make a huge racket from that far away.
We get them over our house all the time. Whir doesn't seem low enough, rhythmic enough, or aggessive enough.

We get them over our house all the time. Whir doesn't seem low enough, rhythmic enough, or aggressive enough.

I completely accept that the noise above your house would be very loud but that doesn't change the fact that post #1 clearly says "in the distance", so we still need to find a word that describes the distant sound of a chopper's blades/engine.

What would you say if the chopper was close?

I was having breakfast when I hear the....of a helicopter. A massive chopper was flying above my apartment.

I like chop chop chop or chucka chucka chucka.

I'll go with dubdubdubdubdubdubdubdubdubdubdubdub! ;-)

Or:

- whump-whump-whump

- womp-womp-womp

- wokka-wokka-wokka

- chackity-chackity-chackity

. . . or James Thurber's immortal pocketa-pocketa-pocketa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back